~protesilaos/modus-themes

1

Lighten the -operandi mode-line background color for more vibrant color contrast?

<m1wndq0xrw.fsf@christiantietze.de>
Hi Prot and the List,

I noticed in a screenshot of a mode-line with a lighter gray background
that this allows colors in the mode-line to pop more.[1] Wanted to share
that finding with you.

[1]: https://github.com/jojojames/fussy/blob/main/screenshots/fussy.png

The mode-line-inactive face has almost the same Hex value (#ebebeb,
where the picture has #efefef). I'm experimenting with making that even
lighter, the lunatic that I am, using just #ffffff.

The most straight-forward way I found so far is to, well, experiment and
override the mode line faces:

(set-face-attribute 'mode-line nil
                    :background "#efefef"
                    :box `(:line-width 10
                           :color "#efefef"))
(set-face-attribute 'mode-line-inactive nil
                    :background "#ffffff"
                    :box `(:line-width 10
                           :color "#ffffff")))

Will give this a trial for a time.

Cheers,
Christian

--
Sent from Bielefeld, Germany <3
https://christiantietze.de -- Programming + Personal
> From: Christian Tietze <me@christiantietze.de>
> Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2022 15:30:43 +0200
>
> Hi Prot and the List,

Hello Christian,

> I noticed in a screenshot of a mode-line with a lighter gray background
> that this allows colors in the mode-line to pop more.[1] Wanted to share
> that finding with you.
>
> [1]: https://github.com/jojojames/fussy/blob/main/screenshots/fussy.png

Yes, the lighter background is pleasant.

> The mode-line-inactive face has almost the same Hex value (#ebebeb,
> where the picture has #efefef). I'm experimenting with making that even
> lighter, the lunatic that I am, using just #ffffff.

It is a good idea.  The reason I opted for the default mode line colours
is because I wanted to err on the side of caution: if I made them too
subtle, some displays would not show them and they would then blend in
with the background (you know how certain screens cannot represent all
shades of grey).  This is also why the default mode lines have a border
around them: to make sure that they are not mistaken for other
background colours.

> The most straight-forward way I found so far is to, well, experiment and
> override the mode line faces:
>
> (set-face-attribute 'mode-line nil
>                     :background "#efefef"
>                     :box `(:line-width 10
>                            :color "#efefef"))
> (set-face-attribute 'mode-line-inactive nil
>                     :background "#ffffff"
>                     :box `(:line-width 10
>                            :color "#ffffff")))
>
> Will give this a trial for a time.

This style looks nice and clean, especially when you have buffers
side-by-side.  It might be less usable though when you display buffers
on top of each other, as the inactive mode line might look like ordinary
text at first glance.

I am looking forward to read about your findings.  Perhaps there is
scope to tweak the user option modus-themes-mode-line or, at least, add
a note in the manual.

All the best,
Prot

--