~protesilaos/tmr

1

Decomposing into smaller files

<878rr8h289.fsf@cassou.me>

I have the impression that tmr.el does a little more that what is
strictly necessary and that some of its features could be moved to
separate files the same way I've done with tmr-tabulated. This would not
only simplify the code but also make it more modular for end-users: a
user who doesn't want desktop notifications should have to load the
notifications library.

These features are:

- notifications

- handling of the log buffer (do you want to keep this feature now that
  we have a tabulated list view?)

- playing sound

Do you agree that it makes sense to split these features in a dedicated
file each?

From the user perspective, enabling a feature will probably be just a
click on the right checkbox in the tmr hook settings.

Best,

--
Damien Cassou

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill
<8735hg2zr3.fsf@protesilaos.com>
In-Reply-To
<878rr8h289.fsf@cassou.me> (view parent)
> From: Damien Cassou <damien@cassou.me>
> Date: Wed, 11 May 2022 11:01:42 +0200
>
> I have the impression that tmr.el does a little more that what is
> strictly necessary and that some of its features could be moved to
> separate files the same way I've done with tmr-tabulated. This would not
> only simplify the code but also make it more modular for end-users: a
> user who doesn't want desktop notifications should have to load the
> notifications library.
>
> These features are:
>
> - notifications
>
> - handling of the log buffer (do you want to keep this feature now that
>   we have a tabulated list view?)
>
> - playing sound
>
> Do you agree that it makes sense to split these features in a dedicated
> file each?

Yes, this is the right course of action.

To your question about the log buffer: I think it is no longer useful.
The tabulated view is better in every way.  The only utility of the log
is record of changes.  Do we really need that?  I guess it can be
useful, but not so much.

In other words, I am fine if we delete it.  If, however, we keep it, we
need to eventually improve its format (not a priority---just noting it).

> From the user perspective, enabling a feature will probably be just a
> click on the right checkbox in the tmr hook settings.

Indeed!

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com