~qaul/community

1

Greetings and Questions

Kevin
<555e047d-2394-bfe7-d73e-1b55ec299b09@kevinsteen.net>
Greetings Qual community

I've been looking for a forum/usenet style solution for mesh networks,
but having failed to find any I started to write my own. Initially I was
building atop the Serval Project base, but development seems to have
stalled there and now I've found my way to qaul.net.

I have cloned the development repository and managed to build the
binaries 'qaul-linux' and 'linux-cli'. I want to experiment with
accessing qaul from Python as I'm not familiar with Rust.

When I run 'qual-linux' it exits immediately - are there parameters I
need to specify to make it run continuously and communicate with other
instances? Which parts of the source should I be looking at to find
those parameters?

Is there any documentation on the network protocol and the data
structures used?

I'd like to help qaul.net be a solution which can run on LibreMesh
routers and provide an easy-to-use way for people to communicate.
Currently there seems to be many ways to build networks, but no
widely-usable software for people to communicate over those networks,
resulting in people using mesh networks just to access the centralised
platforms.

Sorry for the wall of questions. Thanks for your efforts on building
qaul.net

-Kevin
<87d081j9ef.fsf@kookie.space>
In-Reply-To
<555e047d-2394-bfe7-d73e-1b55ec299b09@kevinsteen.net> (view parent)
Hey Kevin,

sorry for not replying to your e-mail earlier.  I've been avoiding my
e-mails recently for _reasons_.  I'm gonna reply to points in your
e-main in non-linear order.

> When I run 'qual-linux' it exits immediately - are there parameters I
> need to specify to make it run continuously and communicate with other
> instances? Which parts of the source should I be looking at to find
> those parameters?

Currently we have no real client yet that people can run.  The linux-cli
client just spawns an empty network and sends a message into it, as a
test for the public libqaul API.  Apart from that pretty much all client
code in the repo is currently just tests.

We (mostly Nora) are working on a daemon and internet overlay system,
but that's not done yet.

> I have cloned the development repository and managed to build the
> binaries 'qaul-linux' and 'linux-cli'. I want to experiment with
> accessing qaul from Python as I'm not familiar with Rust.

The main API is Rust, indeed, but we're working on several RPC layers.
For example, the web UI uses a simple json over http interface, while
we're also planning on supporting json (or similar) over unix sockets.
I think it would probably be good to write some nice abstractions for
these APIs in whatever language they want to use, and we'll happily
merge libraries in other languages that implement these.

> Is there any documentation on the network protocol and the data
> structures used?

Not yet, no.

> I'd like to help qaul.net be a solution which can run on LibreMesh
> routers and provide an easy-to-use way for people to communicate.
> Currently there seems to be many ways to build networks, but no
> widely-usable software for people to communicate over those networks,
> resulting in people using mesh networks just to access the centralised
> platforms.

This would be extremely cool, and is one of the goals of the project.  I
think the way the project is structured, with service routing happening
independently of network space means this should be pretty easy to
implement.

I hope I managed to answer most of your questions.  There's definitely
documentation missing, for both developers, and users.  Currently we're
working on just getting a working alpha stack out the door, after which
we'll have a more detailed look at implementation specifics (for
example: the wire format for frames is currently non-versioned and can't
ever change - probably not a great idea) and documentation.

Anyway, happy to hear you wanna help out.  Feel free to join the voice
calls in the future or ask more questions here.

~k