~radicle-link/dev

Re: Should lnk-identities::git::clone create multiple branches?

<CM8FL6C4BAX5.CYU0WVCCZUBA@haptop>
On Wed Aug 17, 2022 at 1:12 PM IST, Slack Coder wrote:
> > This cloning command is to essentially "clone" what's represented in
> > the monorepo for that project and make an exact working copy in the
> > directory you're cloning to. I suppose it can be thought of as a clone
> > and fetch.
> Would following git-clones behavior not be better or more accurate?
>
> Git-clone does the same thing, except the view is different (unless the
> --mirror option is used).  All local branches on the remote are copied
> to the cloned project as remote tracking branches listed under 'git
> branch -r'.  Keeping these as remote branches would reduce duplication
> and is more in line with expectations of people coming from git.
>
> I am working on radicle-cli, and we're relying on clone via the
> lnk-identities::checkout.  Maybe there's a better route?  The additional
> local branches will be unnecessary for most end users, just pushing
> active contributors to delete them after.

That sounds reasonable to me. I believe we went with the current
behaviour when discussing the experience with Upstream at the time. If
you would like to take a crack at having a more `git clone` type of
experience I'd be happy to take a look at the changes :)
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)