~rjarry/aerc-devel

1

threading emails doesn't honor 'sort' order

<CI4ABPI53ZXX.7TLKZHR8U8WJ@zoidberg>
hi there,

I've just tested the new message-threading feature on my non-imap store
(ie: maildir).
it's great but it doesn't seem to honor my 'sort' order.

I prefer to have my messages top->bottom with older messages first.
ie: I have this in aerc.conf:
sort="date"

w/o enabling "toggle-threads", I have, for a given "m-" discussion:
other-message
m-1 (oldest)
m-2
m-3
m-4 (latest)
some-other-message (latest in the inbox)

w/ "toggle-threads" enabled, I get:
some-other-message
m-4
 m-3
  m-2
   m-1
other-message

I must admit I haven't followed the discussion too closely, but is it
an expected behaviour (at the current state of implementation)?

also, when I un-toggle "threads", I don't get back to "my" sort order
(but the default one, ie: "", ante-chronological, newest first)

-s
<CI4ASGXL4XQJ.2EEW29A2I9ZUC@moon2>
In-Reply-To
<CI4ABPI53ZXX.7TLKZHR8U8WJ@zoidberg> (view parent)
Hi Sebastien

thanks for your feedback.

On Thu Feb 24, 2022 at 1:44 PM CET, Sebastien Binet wrote:
> hi there,
>
> I've just tested the new message-threading feature on my non-imap store
> (ie: maildir).
> it's great but it doesn't seem to honor my 'sort' order.
>
> I prefer to have my messages top->bottom with older messages first.
> ie: I have this in aerc.conf:
> sort="date"
>
> w/o enabling "toggle-threads", I have, for a given "m-" discussion:
> other-message
> m-1 (oldest)
> m-2
> m-3
> m-4 (latest)
> some-other-message (latest in the inbox)
>
> w/ "toggle-threads" enabled, I get:
> some-other-message
> m-4
>  m-3
>   m-2
>    m-1
> other-message
>
> I must admit I haven't followed the discussion too closely, but is it
> an expected behaviour (at the current state of implementation)?

Not sure what you mean with expected behavior but the current threading
should be very similar to the (imap) server threading.

Having an auxiliary sort for messages on the same level would be an
extension and can be implemented on top of the current threading.

> also, when I un-toggle "threads", I don't get back to "my" sort order
> (but the default one, ie: "", ante-chronological, newest first)

I agree that not adhering to the user-defined sort after un-toggling is
an omission and I can look into this.

> -s
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)