~rjarry/aerc-devel

7 3

terminal bell sounds when I run aerc

<fcd88f4e-cad1-4b99-801b-fb3c790c5647@www.fastmail.com>
Hello,
I am using aerc with my fastmail IMAP account and another company IMAP account. When I open aerc my terminal bell sounds twice. I wonder if this is normal. Is it sounding once for each account it is loading? Can I modify this behavior?
I always associate my terminal bell to a warning. Even for example when it sounds for Tab completion.
thanks again,

Anil F
<CHXKKAQOEJ04.2LLAW8JPE8KTF@Archetype>
In-Reply-To
<fcd88f4e-cad1-4b99-801b-fb3c790c5647@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
On Wed Feb 16, 2022 at 4:11 PM CET, Anil Felipe Duggirala wrote:
> Hello,
> I am using aerc with my fastmail IMAP account and another company IMAP account. When I open aerc my terminal bell sounds twice. I wonder if this is normal. Is it sounding once for each account it is loading? Can I modify this behavior?

By default the new-message-bell is true, can you check in you config
whether it's on or not?
<4feadcba-968c-41e5-aea0-a3580aa461a5@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CHXKKAQOEJ04.2LLAW8JPE8KTF@Archetype> (view parent)
On Wed, Feb 16, 2022, at 10:17 AM, Moritz Poldrack wrote:
> On Wed Feb 16, 2022 at 4:11 PM CET, Anil Felipe Duggirala wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am using aerc with my fastmail IMAP account and another company IMAP account. When I open aerc my terminal bell sounds twice. I wonder if this is normal. Is it sounding once for each account it is loading? Can I modify this behavior?
>
> By default the new-message-bell is true, can you check in you config
> whether it's on or not?

New message bell is "true" in my config.

However, I don't think I have new messages in my Inbox (in either of my Inbox folders). Maybe there might be new messages in some of my other folders, some of which are subfolders of Inbox. However, I hear the terminal bell again when I switch to any of those folders (I think I hear a terminal bell when I switch to any folder).

thank you,
<CHXKT44AJ4VU.7Y8O9BYVD4UA@Archetype>
In-Reply-To
<4feadcba-968c-41e5-aea0-a3580aa461a5@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
Can you try disabling it anyways? Just for debugging purposes.
--
Moritz Poldrack
https://moritz.sh
On Wed, Feb 16, 2022, at 10:28 AM, Moritz Poldrack wrote:
> Can you try disabling it anyways? Just for debugging purposes.
> --
> Moritz Poldrack
> https://moritz.sh

Ok. I've disabled it. Now I hear no terminal bell (launching or switching folders).
<CHXL323WFXSE.344GU84UVNZL0@Archetype>
In-Reply-To
<7cc5aad9-7ac2-4aa1-b58f-a1f8ca15358d@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
On Wed Feb 16, 2022 at 4:30 PM CET, Anil Felipe Duggirala wrote:
> Ok. I've disabled it. Now I hear no terminal bell (launching or switching folders).
This matches what I see in the code:

if acct.UiConfig().NewMessageBell {
	acct.host.Beep() // this is the only instance of bell
}

So it seems it was related to the new mail. In that case it's expected
behaviour. Just keep it disabled then, as aerc can't influence the bell
sound. You can try running mpv for some custom sound using the new-mail
config key. See aerc-config.5 for more details.

--
Moritz Poldrack
https://moritz.sh
In-Reply-To
<7cc5aad9-7ac2-4aa1-b58f-a1f8ca15358d@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
I just tried it and it worked using the following config entry:

new-email=exec bash -c 'notify-send "Youve got mail" && exec mpv "/tmp/ARCH ENEMY - House Of Mirrors (OFFICIAL VIDEO) [1DvDjeRs-_o].opus"'

Might want to switch out the "notification sound" with something shorter
though.
--
Moritz Poldrack
https://moritz.sh
In-Reply-To
<7cc5aad9-7ac2-4aa1-b58f-a1f8ca15358d@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)

Anil Felipe Duggirala, Feb 16, 2022 at 16:30:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2022, at 10:28 AM, Moritz Poldrack wrote:
> > Can you try disabling it anyways? Just for debugging purposes.
> Ok. I've disabled it. Now I hear no terminal bell (launching or
> switching folders).

This may be due to your IMAP server not clearing the \Recent flag. Gmail
is known to have this problem. aerc emits a beep (and also executes the
new-email trigger) for every message that does not have the \Seen flag.

The new-message-bell and new-email settings only work properly with
Maildir as far as I know.

--
Robin
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)