~rjarry/aerc-discuss

6 3

Search author names too

<9C9F943F-7DCD-43DD-B9AC-AA703661128F@tmpod.dev>
Hello!

Whenever I'm doing my periodic inbox sorting or when I'm trying to find a message in my archive, something that always bugs me is that aerc's search only looks for matches in titles, making it fairly difficult to quickly identify e-mails from a specific sender.
I know I could (and probably should) use a more advanced and featureful tool for this (have yet to get my hands into stuff like notmuch), but it would certainly be cool to have it built in aerc.

Is it already possible to do this? If not, would you be open to a patch implementing it?

Cheers!

~tmpod
<CC650836-676B-4B01-ABA2-A5AF13F70E5A@tmpod.dev>
In-Reply-To
<9C9F943F-7DCD-43DD-B9AC-AA703661128F@tmpod.dev> (view parent)
PS: Sorry for the lack of wrapping!
Wrote that on K-9 and forgot it doesn't hardwrap .-.
<D14A0FX303GS.1CRCDRCSA6802@protonmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<9C9F943F-7DCD-43DD-B9AC-AA703661128F@tmpod.dev> (view parent)
tmpod, May 08, 2024 at 15:27:
> Hello!
>
> Whenever I'm doing my periodic inbox sorting or when I'm trying to find a message in my archive, something that always bugs me is that aerc's search only looks for matches in titles, making it fairly difficult to quickly identify e-mails from a specific sender.
> I know I could (and probably should) use a more advanced and featureful tool for this (have yet to get my hands into stuff like notmuch), but it would certainly be cool to have it built in aerc.
>
> Is it already possible to do this? If not, would you be open to a patch implementing it?
>
> Cheers!
>
> ~tmpod

Try :filter -f or :search -f. This will search email addresses.

Oh, it seems there's no way to search directly for the name of the
author?

In any case I recommend notmuch very much. I use one maildir account for
my regular mailings, and one for notmuch so that I can jump there for
any more advanced searches...

Best,
Kenneth
<D14BZYABEK7N.3L0H5EI0V5BKG@sindominio.net>
In-Reply-To
<D14A0FX303GS.1CRCDRCSA6802@protonmail.com> (view parent)

On 08/05/2024, 14:53, Kenneth Flak wrote:
> In any case I recommend notmuch very much. I use one maildir account for
> my regular mailings, and one for notmuch so that I can jump there for
> any more advanced searches...
You can also add a maildir view to a notmuch account, thus gathering the best
of both worlds.
<D14EN3P8AF8U.16HT66PA6LZZA@protonmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<D14BZYABEK7N.3L0H5EI0V5BKG@sindominio.net> (view parent)
> You can also add a maildir view to a notmuch account, thus gathering the best
> of both worlds.

Huh, how? Would love to know more about how you accomplish this kind of
magic!
<D14ET8OYNI0F.2Y27KR2EXN2CT@sindominio.net>
In-Reply-To
<D14EN3P8AF8U.16HT66PA6LZZA@protonmail.com> (view parent)
On 08/05/2024, 18:30, Kenneth Flak wrote:
> Huh, how? Would love to know more about how you accomplish this kind of
> magic!

You just add

maildir-store = ~/your/maildir/path

to your account definition in accounts.conf.
<D14EZZOR5WE1.KE2M23DHL9YL@protonmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<D14ET8OYNI0F.2Y27KR2EXN2CT@sindominio.net> (view parent)
> You just add
>
> maildir-store = ~/your/maildir/path
>
> to your account definition in accounts.conf.

Very very cool! Although, for some reason I'm getting quite sluggish
response when changing folders in the notmuch tab...
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)