~rjarry/aerc-discuss

5 5

When will we release 1.0.0?

Details
Message ID
<CIS895V7SSIX.3RM256JDEUHH6@Archetype>
DKIM signature
fail
Download raw message
DKIM signature: fail
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what is in the way of aerc 1.0.0 and whether we want to
make something like a "sprint" (don't hit me; not like that) where we
make a list of release-blockers in the tickets.

Some things I personally consider release blockers:
- PGP support (if you don't want to store a copy of your private key)
- Multi-Sync (get new messages from all folders) (possibly with a
  blacklist, but for a start it could probably do without as well)
- more user-facing documentation

--
Moritz Poldrack
https://moritz.sh
Details
Message ID
<CIS96XY67PGI.3K6DSXG867BKI@dave>
In-Reply-To
<CIS895V7SSIX.3RM256JDEUHH6@Archetype> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Moritz Poldrack, Mar 24, 2022 at 17:11:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I was wondering what is in the way of aerc 1.0.0 and whether we want to
> make something like a "sprint" (don't hit me; not like that) where we
> make a list of release-blockers in the tickets.

Ahh, no "agile" terminology please :D

I was thinking about 1.0.0 this week too.

> Some things I personally consider release blockers:
> - PGP support (if you don't want to store a copy of your private key)
> - Multi-Sync (get new messages from all folders) (possibly with a
>   blacklist, but for a start it could probably do without as well)
> - more user-facing documentation

There are a few issues with IMAP that I consider blocking as well:

- No local cache (aerc is slow with imap, much slower than mutt for
  example)

- "no envelope available for message" errors when accessing concurrently
  from another client while aerc is connected. The only to way to
  recover is to restart aerc.

In any case, next tag will not be 1.0.0 but more likely 0.10.0.
Details
Message ID
<CIS9BA3TS5AW.9MZQB55SNN98@Penelope.local>
In-Reply-To
<CIS96XY67PGI.3K6DSXG867BKI@dave> (view parent)
DKIM signature
fail
Download raw message
DKIM signature: fail
On Thu Mar 24, 2022 at 17:55 +0100, Robin Jarry <robin@jarry.cc> wrote:

> - No local cache (aerc is slow with imap, much slower than mutt for
>   example)

...Slower than mutt **with cache**. However, with cache disabled mutt is MUCH slower than aerc.

> In any case, next tag will not be 1.0.0 but more likely 0.10.0.

Good :)






-- 
JD
Details
Message ID
<CISB9GU51T71.3HN0XMMCEEUMF@fedora>
In-Reply-To
<CIS96XY67PGI.3K6DSXG867BKI@dave> (view parent)
DKIM signature
fail
Download raw message
DKIM signature: fail
> - PGP support (if you don't want to store a copy of your private key)
Related: https://todo.sr.ht/~rjarry/aerc/6

> - Multi-Sync (get new messages from all folders) (possibly with a
>   blacklist, but for a start it could probably do without as well)
> - more user-facing documentation
> - No local cache (aerc is slow with imap, much slower than mutt for
>   example)
https://todo.sr.ht/~rjarry/aerc/2

> - "no envelope available for message" errors when accessing concurrently
>   from another client while aerc is connected. The only to way to
>   recover is to restart aerc.

Only one of these has a ticket associated with it, and there is a
related ticket for PGP. Seems like we could track these via a ticket
label or in the wiki. Thoughts? I'd be happy to help submit tickets or a
wiki patch.

- Tim
Details
Message ID
<CISC63YJYNIA.39WUSTCTBP65Y@Archetype>
In-Reply-To
<CISB9GU51T71.3HN0XMMCEEUMF@fedora> (view parent)
DKIM signature
fail
Download raw message
DKIM signature: fail
On Thu Mar 24, 2022 at 7:32 PM CET, Tim Culverhouse wrote:
> Only one of these has a ticket associated with it, and there is a
> related ticket for PGP. Seems like we could track these via a ticket
> label or in the wiki. Thoughts? I'd be happy to help submit tickets or a
> wiki patch.

As stated above, I like the idea of "issueizing" the development (+
maybe adding a release-blocker label which can be reused for every
version) this would also give us the "todo" from the title of the issue
tracker, which is something i quite like: ticking off stuff as it is
completed. Maybe we should add a way to mark tickets as WIP though, as
to avoid multiple people tackling the same issue; but that's rather
unlikely at this point with 5ish people contributing regularly.

I also think we should carry over some issues from todo:~sircmpwn/aerc2.
Details
Message ID
<6b8a7e2e766e307ab35476b15b93fbb29dbfa51f.camel@posteo.mx>
In-Reply-To
<CIS895V7SSIX.3RM256JDEUHH6@Archetype> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Thu, 2022-03-24 at 17:11 +0100, Moritz Poldrack wrote:
> I was wondering what is in the way of aerc 1.0.0 and whether we want to
> make something like a "sprint" (don't hit me; not like that) where we
> make a list of release-blockers in the tickets.
> 
> Some things I personally consider release blockers:
> - PGP support (if you don't want to store a copy of your private key)
> - Multi-Sync (get new messages from all folders) (possibly with a
>   blacklist, but for a start it could probably do without as well)
> - more user-facing documentation

I'd consider a maildir wizard a blocker.

-- 
DJ Chase
They, Them, Theirs
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)