~rjarry/aerc-discuss

4 3

Mailing list addresses in abook

<CJ7FUDNTC3W0.3J457RDLJPCRW@MacBook-Air.local>
Hi, I'd like to use abook to store addresses for mailing lists, but I
haven't been able to get it to work. abook seems to require a name along
with the contact information, but AFAIK when putting a mailing list
address in the To: header, there shouldn't be any name. Is this possible
to achieve?
<CJ7G0BYKAVIZ.1K23VY4I9P85X@Archetype>
In-Reply-To
<CJ7FUDNTC3W0.3J457RDLJPCRW@MacBook-Air.local> (view parent)
On Mon Apr 11, 2022 at 3:17 PM CEST, kt programs wrote:
> Hi, I'd like to use abook to store addresses for mailing lists, but I
> haven't been able to get it to work. abook seems to require a name along
> with the contact information, but AFAIK when putting a mailing list
> address in the To: header, there shouldn't be any name. Is this possible
> to achieve?

Have you tried this?
https://man.sr.ht/~rjarry/aerc/integrations/index.md#abook

--
Moritz Poldrack
https://moritz.sh
On Mon Apr 11, 2022 at 9:17 AM EDT, kt programs wrote:
> Hi, I'd like to use abook to store addresses for mailing lists, but I
> haven't been able to get it to work. abook seems to require a name along
> with the contact information, but AFAIK when putting a mailing list
> address in the To: header, there shouldn't be any name. Is this possible
> to achieve?

Try setting the name as "" in abook. If that doesn't work, you could
just set the name to the list's address.

--
DJ Chase
They, Them, Theirs
On Mon Apr 11, 2022 at 9:30 PM +08, DJ Chase wrote:
> On Mon Apr 11, 2022 at 9:17 AM EDT, kt programs wrote:
> > Hi, I'd like to use abook to store addresses for mailing lists, but I
> > haven't been able to get it to work. abook seems to require a name along
> > with the contact information, but AFAIK when putting a mailing list
> > address in the To: header, there shouldn't be any name. Is this possible
> > to achieve?
>
> Try setting the name as "" in abook. If that doesn't work, you could
> just set the name to the list's address.

Doesn't work, the completion becomes:

"\"\"" <~rjarry/aerc-devel@lists.sr.ht>

And setting the contact name to the list name puts the name as well.

I'm wondering if I should just write a script that greps a file with all
the adresses. Does aerc even support a email only entry in the output of
address-book-cmd?

> --
> DJ Chase
> They, Them, Theirs
<CJ7U3Z5T63H4.3H2Y5XV5TKBOZ@MacBook-Air.local>
In-Reply-To
<CJ7G0BYKAVIZ.1K23VY4I9P85X@Archetype> (view parent)
On Mon Apr 11, 2022 at 9:25 PM +08, Moritz Poldrack wrote:
> On Mon Apr 11, 2022 at 3:17 PM CEST, kt programs wrote:
> > Hi, I'd like to use abook to store addresses for mailing lists, but I
> > haven't been able to get it to work. abook seems to require a name along
> > with the contact information, but AFAIK when putting a mailing list
> > address in the To: header, there shouldn't be any name. Is this possible
> > to achieve?
>
> Have you tried this?
> https://man.sr.ht/~rjarry/aerc/integrations/index.md#abook

Yes, that's what I'm using.