~rjarry/aerc-discuss

6 4

trying to get gpg working

<CJMFL9RCBZ8H.OLIVDW5WAU8D@rek2system>
Hello, I am very happy to be able to use pgp with aerc in this new
implemented way.
I have added my key id to accounts.conf and in [general] I have tried
with pgp-provider=gpg and with out
in both ways I compose a email and before sending I do :encrypt but
never works I get a error on attachment(I have not attached anything)
What I am missing, I though maybe I am wrong that with this
implementation we do not need to export our public/private keys anymore
since is using the gpg keyring right?
Was able to get the error with this msg ;)  in Spanish says "Not a valid
entry".

```
Error: transaction failed, blame it on the weather: cannot upload
```
thanks
ReK2

gemini://hispagatos.org
gemini://rek2.hispagatos.org
https://hispagatos.org
https://hispagatos.space/@rek2
<ffe6f2bc-7d8b-4a70-a3b4-8c286d327f3b@beta.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CJMFL9RCBZ8H.OLIVDW5WAU8D@rek2system> (view parent)
Could you send a log of you trying to encrypt a message? Also what version of gpg are you using?
<CJMSWROB8BUQ.1YFYV3O0ZV7QB@TimBook-Arch>
On Thu Apr 28, 2022 at 11:17 PM CDT, ReK2 wrote:
> ```
> Error: transaction failed, blame it on the weather: cannot upload
> ```

I looked into this error, and since it has that nice little weather
comment it's easy to figure out where it's coming from - it's a
Protonmail error message. I'm guessing you are using the Protonmail
bridge? I'm not sure how the bridge / protonmail works - but do they
allow sending messages that were encrypted outside of their system?

I read up a little bit and it seems like their workflow is this:
- Messages get delivered to bridge
- Bridge decrypts and passes decrypted message to external client
- Client can read cleartext

They don't describe sending but I would guess it's like:
- Client sends message to bridge
- Bridge checks protonmail account for public key of recipients
- Bridge encrypts as necessary and sends

Assuming that's right, I could see the bridge not liking an
'application/pgp-encryption' message part, in which case it sounds like
you wouldn't be able to encrypt in your external client, and need to
solely rely on the bridge to do the encryption.

Does anyone else use protonmail and know if that's the case? Would be
curious if you can encrypt externally in any other mail client
(Thunderbird, mutt, evolution, etc).

Tim
<CJMVDMD4PS1I.3PJAVF22CZ0OJ@rek2laptop>
In-Reply-To
<ffe6f2bc-7d8b-4a70-a3b4-8c286d327f3b@beta.fastmail.com> (view parent)
Hello,
  Thanks so much for looking into this so fast.
  Indeed I am using (for now) protonmail but I am not using the official
  bridge, I am using the one created by Emersion Hydroxide
  https://github.com/emersion/hydroxide
  I was suspecting as well this could be the issue. This may be the last
  drop on my list of complains about protonmail.
  This is prob not the place, but can any other aers users, recomend a
  open/privacy concerned email provider? I remember Drew mentioning one
  long time a go but forgot the name.

  Thanks
  Happy Hacking

gemini://hispagatos.org
gemini://rek2.hispagatos.org
https://hispagatos.org
https://hispagatos.space/@rek2
<45DF92E9-6447-4DF1-8FCF-33976E833A27@jarry.cc>
In-Reply-To
<CJMVDMD4PS1I.3PJAVF22CZ0OJ@rek2laptop> (view parent)

https://drewdevault.com/2020/06/19/Mail-service-provider-recommendations.html
<CJMVLT08SAJ2.N3JVEWPOT9TH@zeta>
On Fri Apr 29, 2022 at 5:38 PM BST, ReK2 wrote:
>   This is prob not the place, but can any other aers users, recomend a
>   open/privacy concerned email provider? I remember Drew mentioning one
>   long time a go but forgot the name.

I think you might mean Migadu. Drew has metioned this a fw times.

https://www.migadu.com/

I use it, is very good. :-)
<CJMVVUMYAAZ4.1UNAM3KGNWO2O@rek2laptop>
In-Reply-To
<45DF92E9-6447-4DF1-8FCF-33976E833A27@jarry.cc> (view parent)
Thank you! this is what I was looking for.(not the droids)
fun fact, you can run aerc, inside aerc ;)

Happy Hacking
ReK2
gemini://hispagatos.org
gemini://rek2.hispagatos.org