~rjarry/aerc-discuss

2 2

Automatically set In-Reply-To?

<CX2P2IZZVBYB.V6FH4FZDB271@mxsr.de>
Hi all,

this week I sent a patch to a sourcehut mailing list via `git
send-email`. Then I received an answer and replied to in aerc, using the
`rq` key binding. I thought that my anwser never arrived. But later I
noticed that my answer arrived in the mailing list and shows up under
the "archives" tab[1] but it's missing in the patch's thread (under the
"patches" tab)[2].

My guess: When I answer by clicking on the "Reply to thread" button on
the patch page[2], the "In-Reply-To" header field is set (I can see this
when I hover over the button) but it's not set when I answer directly in
aerc.

Is this true? If yes, is it configurable that "In-Reply-To" is set
automatically?

Best regards,
Max

[1]: https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/hare-dev/%3C20231115190346.42357-2-max%40mxsr.de%3E#%3CCWZNNTI53XXD.3MXE4Q6EN8RCO@mxsr.de%3E
[2]: https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/hare-dev/patches/46742
<CX2PZOUAA6NU.24WDBADVDWV2A@poldrack.dev>
In-Reply-To
<CX2P2IZZVBYB.V6FH4FZDB271@mxsr.de> (view parent)
On Sun Nov 19, 2023 at 10:52 AM CET, Max Schillinger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> this week I sent a patch to a sourcehut mailing list via `git
> send-email`. Then I received an answer and replied to in aerc, using the
> `rq` key binding. I thought that my anwser never arrived. But later I
> noticed that my answer arrived in the mailing list and shows up under
> the "archives" tab[1] but it's missing in the patch's thread (under the
> "patches" tab)[2].

That is indeed a bit strange, my guess is that Sourcehut has lost track
of where that answer is supposed to go because content has been trimmed
so much

> My guess: When I answer by clicking on the "Reply to thread" button on
> the patch page[2], the "In-Reply-To" header field is set (I can see this
> when I hover over the button) but it's not set when I answer directly in
> aerc.
If you take a look at the raw message[0] you'll notice that the
In-Reply-To header is properly set. What the exact reason for the weird
display is, I am pulling a bit of a blank.

> Is this true? If yes, is it configurable that "In-Reply-To" is set
> automatically?

No, it's just done by default. In the rare cases where one might want to
not send this header along (really can't come up with a reason), you can
just remove it with the :header command.

--
Moritz Poldrack
https://moritz.sh

> Special engagement; no discounts, passes or coupons accepted.
<CX2U8DGPMT1X.3OCQ2I3X5Y3Q9@mxsr.de>
In-Reply-To
<CX2PZOUAA6NU.24WDBADVDWV2A@poldrack.dev> (view parent)
On Sun Nov 19, 2023 at 11:35 AM CET, Moritz Poldrack wrote:
> > My guess: When I answer by clicking on the "Reply to thread" button
> > on the patch page[2], the "In-Reply-To" header field is set (I can
> > see this when I hover over the button) but it's not set when I
> > answer directly in aerc.
> If you take a look at the raw message[0] you'll notice that the
> In-Reply-To header is properly set. What the exact reason for the weird
> display is, I am pulling a bit of a blank.

Thanks for your answer! I have checked the header of the sent e-mail:
You are right, it *does* include the "In-Reply-To header" with exactly
the same value that the reply button on sourcehut sets.

Thus, this isn't an issue with aerc but only with sourcehut.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)