~rjarry/aerc-discuss

2 2

Configuration/possibility of a notification deamon?

Md Isfarul Haque <isfarul.876@gmail.com>
<CZ905DWG3A8J.3E7LO3656MMY@gmail.com>
Hello everyone, first off thanks for such an awesome tool!

I wanted to know if there is some config that allows you to have a notification
daemon in aerc.

If not, what is the likelihood of adding this option in the future?

Is there some way I can manually configure this on my system? I use
Arch linux (btw).

Thanks and regards,
Isfarul

--

A: Because it reverses the natural flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

On Mon Feb 19, 2024 at 6:00 AM EST, Md Isfarul Haque wrote:
> Hello everyone, first off thanks for such an awesome tool!
>
> I wanted to know if there is some config that allows you to have a notification
> daemon in aerc.

What exactly do you mean by this? You can use aerc's hooks (see
aerc-config(5)) plus a tool like notify-send to get notifications of
certain events. For example:

    [hooks]
    mail-received = notify-send "[$AERC_ACCOUNT] New mail!"

Is that what you're after, or are you looking for something more?

Best,
Jason
<CZ97FSVUTF87.3R7B2MDV2V03Y@poldrack.dev>
In-Reply-To
<CZ93D6LCN7HU.2G1V1K10W7EE0@jasoncarloscox.com> (view parent)
On Mon 19 Feb 2024 08:32:07, Jason Cox wrote:
> What exactly do you mean by this? You can use aerc's hooks (see
> aerc-config(5)) plus a tool like notify-send to get notifications of
> certain events.

Since they mentioned a daemon, I assume they want to run aerc in the
background. This is currently not planned, and I would argue wouldn't
make a lot of sense either. Aerc is a mail client, so it is the agent
you interact with to work with your mail. The way I would approach this
is by running aerc and then moving the terminal window it's in to the
scratchpad. This way I would still receive the notifications and can
then retrieve aerc (or start a new instance) to actually read the mail.

--
Moritz Poldrack
https://moritz.sh

> 98% lean.