~rjarry/aerc-discuss

3 3

How to setup git send-email with aerc

<D0V9I98HY8PS.S9P8U8OXF6TU@strongly-typed-thoughts.net>
Hello!

Sorry if I’m doing this wrong, I’m currently in the process of learning
aerc and email-based git flow. However, I’m not sure I’m doing things
correctly when setting up git send-email. I have followed
https://git-send-email.io/#step-2 but I’m surprised about the fact I’m
not configuring git send-email with aerc, and I have no clue how to
setup sendmail either.

Any clue? Thanks in advance!
<cfa87bcc-542f-4234-b557-b42c792a5773@ferdinandy.com>
In-Reply-To
<D0V9I98HY8PS.S9P8U8OXF6TU@strongly-typed-thoughts.net> (view parent)
2024. ápr. 28. 0:36:10 Dimitri Sabadie
<hadronized@strongly-typed-thoughts.net>:

> Hello!
>
> Sorry if I’m doing this wrong, I’m currently in the process of learning
> aerc and email-based git flow. However, I’m not sure I’m doing things
> correctly when setting up git send-email. I have followed
> https://git-send-email.io/#step-2 but I’m surprised about the fact I’m
> not configuring git send-email with aerc, and I have no clue how to
> setup sendmail either.
>
> Any clue? Thanks in advance!

You need to configure it in your git config (and it will not be aerc,
just git sending it).

Something like this:
https://github.com/ferdinandyb/dotfiles/blob/9073150fb9055c057d39c1e0143b606fca036db6/.config/git/config#L4
<D0VQ96ST8KHS.M3TYL11FI54J@strongly-typed-thoughts.net>
In-Reply-To
<cfa87bcc-542f-4234-b557-b42c792a5773@ferdinandy.com> (view parent)
Thank you; I had did some configuration yesterday and realized that part
was missing from https://git-send-email.io. I’m trying to make it work
with SMTP and thought aerc could be used in CLI to do that, but I guess
git comes equipped with everything needed.

Thank you again.

Dimitri
<D0W1CC7QBCH5.2QIEGDKPOE87@cepl.eu>
On Sun Apr 28, 2024 at 12:35 AM CEST, Dimitri Sabadie wrote:
> Sorry if I’m doing this wrong, I’m currently in the process of learning
> aerc and email-based git flow. However, I’m not sure I’m doing things
> correctly when setting up git send-email. I have followed
> https://git-send-email.io/#step-2 but I’m surprised about the fact I’m
> not configuring git send-email with aerc, and I have no clue how to
> setup sendmail either.

git send-email and aerc has absolutely nothing common. Both of
these need to be configured separately. The former is for sending
patches to the list, aerc (or any MUA for that matter) is for
discussing them on the list.

Matěj

--
http://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, @mcepl@floss.social
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

Your grief can never fill the hole in your life.
  -- ScribblingSteve in the fanfiction “Hermione Granger and the
     Theft of Magic” (probably quoting somebody else)
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)