~rjarry/aerc-discuss

3 2

Opening URL in email body

Nicolas Goy <me@kuon.ch>
Details
Message ID
<D13N72KJAG83.3EHFL4X65XCJK@kuon.ch>
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Hello,

I just started using aerc, and I was able to configure it with the
documentation, but there is one thing I cannot find how to do.

When there are links or email addresses in emails, I'd like to be able to "tab"
through them and open them. If it's http it should open my browser and email
should compose a new message in aerc to that address.

Is it possible to configure aerc in a way to support this setup? At present I
have to use my mouse which is not very practical.

Thanks

-- 
Nicolas Goy
Developer and electronic engineer
Goyman SA

https://kuon.ch
https://goyman.com
Details
Message ID
<D13ND0ZRMURI.27UGO9TENGTRO@ferdinandy.com>
In-Reply-To
<D13N72KJAG83.3EHFL4X65XCJK@kuon.ch> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Hey Nicolas,

On Tue May 07, 2024 at 21:00, Nicolas Goy <me@kuon.ch> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just started using aerc, and I was able to configure it with the
> documentation, but there is one thing I cannot find how to do.

welcome on board!

>
> When there are links or email addresses in emails, I'd like to be able to "tab"
> through them and open them. If it's http it should open my browser and email
> should compose a new message in aerc to that address.
>
> Is it possible to configure aerc in a way to support this setup? At present I
> have to use my mouse which is not very practical.

See man aerc :open-link

Although many of us tend to use our terminals capability for opening OSC-8
links instead of the aerc command.

Best,
Bence
Nicolas Goy <me@kuon.ch>
Details
Message ID
<D13NKF6NFM72.JB6LNKB0ENZM@kuon.ch>
In-Reply-To
<D13ND0ZRMURI.27UGO9TENGTRO@ferdinandy.com> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Tue May 7, 2024 at 9:08 PM CEST, Bence Ferdinandy wrote:
>
> welcome on board!

thanks

>
> See man aerc :open-link
>
> Although many of us tend to use our terminals capability for opening OSC-8
> links instead of the aerc command.
>

I found the command, but I didn't realize it was auto completing on tab. I think
adding a note in the man page along the line "If the email body contains link,
hitting tab will cycle through them" could help discovery.

Thanks for the tip.


-- 
Nicolas Goy
Developer and electronic engineer
Goyman SA

https://kuon.ch
https://goyman.com
Details
Message ID
<D13NQNCVJEJM.2TNQKZJTXCGHG@ferdinandy.com>
In-Reply-To
<D13NKF6NFM72.JB6LNKB0ENZM@kuon.ch> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On Tue May 07, 2024 at 21:17, Nicolas Goy <me@kuon.ch> wrote:
> On Tue May 7, 2024 at 9:08 PM CEST, Bence Ferdinandy wrote:
> >
> > welcome on board!
>
> thanks
>
> >
> > See man aerc :open-link
> >
> > Although many of us tend to use our terminals capability for opening OSC-8
> > links instead of the aerc command.
> >
>
> I found the command, but I didn't realize it was auto completing on tab. I think
> adding a note in the man page along the line "If the email body contains link,
> hitting tab will cycle through them" could help discovery.
>
> Thanks for the tip.

`:open-link ` with a trailing space should already pop up all the links
actually. I'm not sure if we have a general documentation about how completions
work in aerc, but they work the same everywhere, so I think adding it open-link
specifically would be superfluous.


-- 
+36305425054
bence.ferdinandy.com
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)