~rjarry/aerc-discuss

5 3

CJK text rendering glitch while scrolling

<D17U7S2YO9OV.10YADIV3NLRGL@mailbox.org>

I noticed that CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) font rendering is going off in
aerc while scrolling. Here is a screenshot, left is what it looks like, right is
what it should look like.

    https://0x0.st/XKah.png

$ aerc -v
aerc 0.17.0.r129.gd582ac68 +notmuch-5.6.0 (go1.22.3 amd64 linux 2024-05-12)

The glitch happens under all terminal emulator/ WM combination I could test,
including foot and alacritty (wayland), st (XWayland), st (i3/xorg).

This doesn't happen with neomutt. So I assume the issue is from aerc. Could it
be the case that CJK characters have different text width[1]?

For anyone interested, you could import my test email[2]

wth

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halfwidth_and_fullwidth_forms
[2] https://lists.sr.ht/~shrik3/test/%3CD17TLI5NY87P.3F1SPNM2ACT4Y@mailbox.org%3E
<D17VN3YWRYW2.3K1XYAUP32XGA@poldrack.dev>
In-Reply-To
<D17U7S2YO9OV.10YADIV3NLRGL@mailbox.org> (view parent)
On Sun 12 May 2024 19:21:11, Tianhao Wang wrote:
> This doesn't happen with neomutt. So I assume the issue is from aerc.

I think I have read something about weird CJK handling in Go, which was
something regarding rune width. I can't find it right now, though.

--
Moritz Poldrack
https://moritz.sh

<22bd4461-ba17-4f3a-a255-1e33a9b6689e@sloti42n25>
On Sun, 12 May 2024 12:21:22 CDT, Tianhao Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) font rendering is going off in
> aerc while scrolling. Here is a screenshot, left is what it looks like, right is
> what it should look like.
>
>     https://0x0.st/XKah.png

Is this happening in the pager? If so, what is your pager and filter? Also what
did you use to generate the correct side?

aerc *should* be able to render these correctly. Would be you be able to send a
sample of this text so I could debug on my side?

Thanks!

--
Tim
<D18J2IFMPNQO.1W0UZ7Z84JS5E@mailbox.org>
On Mon May 13, 2024 at 2:08 PM CEST, Tim Culverhouse wrote:
> On Sun, 12 May 2024 12:21:22 CDT, Tianhao Wang wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed that CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) font rendering is going off in
> > aerc while scrolling. Here is a screenshot, left is what it looks like, right is
> > what it should look like.
> >
> >     https://0x0.st/XKah.png

> Is this happening in the pager? If so, what is your pager and filter?

I'm using the default ones (i.e. less -Rc and /usr/lib/aerc/filters/colorize).

> Also what did you use to generate the correct side?

same aerc setup, but without scrolling.

> Would be you be able to send a sample of this text so I could debug on my side?

here, you could import the mbox, or let sourcehut forward it to you.

    https://lists.sr.ht/~shrik3/test/%3CD17TLI5NY87P.3F1SPNM2ACT4Y@mailbox.org%3E

thanks
wth.
<D18K47TKE67I.OOM6IEASVHCP@timculverhouse.com>
In-Reply-To
<D18J2IFMPNQO.1W0UZ7Z84JS5E@mailbox.org> (view parent)
On Mon May 13, 2024 at 7:49 AM CDT, Tianhao Wang wrote:
> here, you could import the mbox, or let sourcehut forward it to you.
>
>     https://lists.sr.ht/~shrik3/test/%3CD17TLI5NY87P.3F1SPNM2ACT4Y@mailbox.org%3E

Very strange...this appears to render just fine for me:

https://0x0.st/XKJr.png

What distro are you using?

--
Tim
<D18K5A6DQF5X.1DDBNQJ39CATX@timculverhouse.com>
In-Reply-To
<D18J2IFMPNQO.1W0UZ7Z84JS5E@mailbox.org> (view parent)
Oh wow, too early for me still. I see that you get it to render fine until you
scroll. I can replicate that...I'll look into it.

--
Tim
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)