~singletona082

Recent activity

Re: Flounder updates! 7 months ago

From Andrew Singleton to ~aw/flounder

I could offer advice up, but I'm not technical. Will make another
thread for discussion

As always, appreciate the service you're providing.

Note: For some reason gmail is only giving the person who last
responded as an email to reply to rather than the mailing list email.

On Mon, Dec 27, 2021 at 2:02 AM Alex Wennerberg <alex@alexwennerberg.com> wrote:

> > Pretty sure i responded to this but since i don't see it on the mailing list:
> >
> > > Also I do want to apologize, I have stopped showing your updates on the homepage because there were so many that it obscured everyone else’s. This is a temporary measure until i truncate many file updates with “… and X other files”.

Re: Flounder updates! 7 months ago

From Andrew Singleton to ~aw/flounder

Pretty sure i responded to this but since i don't see it on the mailing list:

> Also I do want to apologize, I have stopped showing your updates on the homepage because there were so many that it obscured everyone else’s. This is a temporary measure until i truncate many file updates with “… and X other files”.

No worries at all. given I tend to bulk update? It can be..... spammy
and thus crowd other users out.

Still alive... 7 months ago

From Andrew Singleton to ~adnano/gemini

Mind you I think some changes could be worth considering, but other
than any security related updates I'm... unsure what would be useful
from a public facing perspective. if anyone more technical than me has
anything to say about server side?

For now perhaps best to wait see what the community does (while still
keeping an active part of the community) and weigh in (or not) on any
proposed community standards, like one i'd seen to have formatting
marks for bold, italic, etc... which I am against in spite of my
background writing fiction.

I just have many vivid memories of the 90's browser wars and microsoft
'encouraging' adopting of their specific additions and nonstandard
components to HTML.

[Off Topic] WiFi HaLow, Mesh, and Low Powered Devices 8 months ago

From Andrew Singleton to ~adnano/gemini

Would be interested in that video ya.

Similarly I need to do a proper writeup of the thing I want so i can post to places like this so people can tell me of that exists or not.

Dec 2, 2021 2:24:32 PM John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org>:

> On Thu, Dec 02 2021, Andrew Singleton wrote:
>
>> Look. I live Simi-Rural. Meaning not so far out that you have hundreds
>> of acres for cattle, or farms or whatever. Just an eight acre piece of
>> land that's more of a family hobby project than anything. And yet that
>> is still a fairly sizeable chunk of land so far as traditional wifi is
>> concerned.

[Off Topic] WiFi HaLow, Mesh, and Low Powered Devices 8 months ago

From Andrew Singleton to ~adnano/gemini

https://www.electronicdesign.com/technologies/iot/article/21164477/morse-micro-whats-the-difference-between-wifi-halow-and-traditional-wifi

I bring this up less because i have any plans (I never have plans.
Never have the time or capacity to know far enough ahead of time when
I WILL have time) or Money to do any of the projects I want, but
looking at the theoretical bandwidth limits vs range increase?

Look. I live Simi-Rural. Meaning not so far out that you have hundreds
of acres for cattle, or farms or whatever. Just an eight acre piece of
land that's more of a family hobby project than anything. And yet that
is still a fairly sizeable chunk of land so far as traditional wifi is
concerned.

Fine, HaLow isn't intended to be used for netflix, youtube, etc etc.

[Off Topic] Happy Holidays and Well Wishes 8 months ago

From Andrew Singleton to ~adnano/gemini

I'm going to keep this simple. While I have hopes that everyone is
doing well. I know times are rough and not everyone is fortunate
enough to be in a good place when everything is turning all towards
sentiment and family along with it starting to get cold (in the
northern hemisphere anyway.)

Glad to see Gemini thriving and the protocol taking another step
towards finality. Hope folks are holding up. You'e mostly been pretty
awesome.

A Gemini-style proposal 9 months ago

From Andrew Singleton to ~adnano/gemini

I don't need a screen reader and I can /HEAR/ that.... so yes while you
can't keep someone from using substitute lettering via the spec so long
as its valid unicode?

please do not do this.

On 11/3/21 9:16 AM, Alex // nytpu wrote:
> Very screenreader unfriendly ahead...
>
> ---
>
> MATHEMATICAL BOLD CAPITAL W MATHEMATICAL BOLD SMALL h MATHEMATICAL BOLD
> SMALL y MATHEMATICAL BOLD SMALL d MATHEMATICAL BOLD SMALL o MATHEMATICAL

A Gemini-style proposal 9 months ago

From Andrew Singleton to ~adnano/gemini

Davin beat me to it.

The idea of 'well lets just use the bold unicode' is... an anti feature
for anyone needing anything adaptive, and goes counter to offloading
presentation elements onto the client.

On 11/3/21 8:10 AM, Devin Prater wrote:
> Sure, if you want screen reader users to have to hear "lattin bold
> capital letter a lattin bold letter d latin bold letter o latin bold
> letter n latin bold letter a latin bold letter l latin bold letter s
> latin bold letter i latin bold letter u latin bold letter m." I mean I
> knew this would start happening because people don't like constraints
> on expression of text. And now I guess it starts.
> Devin Prater

A Gemini-style proposal 9 months ago

From Andrew Singleton to ~adnano/gemini

I'm reminded of the guy that went 'the internet is shit. return to PDF'
and everyone else just

'PDF is terrible for a long list of reasons.'

So I ask now the same question as then without further rhetoric. 'Why?'

On 11/3/21 8:05 AM, Devin Prater wrote:
> Do we have to go PDF? Oh dear God. Okay if they're textual in nature,
> sure. But you know someone is gonna start uploading scans. I mean
> people can do that in HTML kinda, but thankfully it's harder to do.
> Devin Prater
> r.d.t.prater at gmail.com <mailto:r.d.t.prater at gmail.com>

Re: Flounder updates! 9 months ago

From Andrew Singleton to ~aw/flounder

Two things I would like clarification on from your todo.

folder directory broken over gemini
list user files over gemini

Also, while you have a thing in the tips and tricks that lists finger
as an option, a link to what constitutes a valid finger file would be
nice. Like 'can i put anything there' or does it only recognize
certain field names?'

Either way, I appreciate the fact you're updating things man.