~sircmpwn/aerc

Re: Unable to send mail using ProtonMail Bridge

<20210222134939.w35j22obprnegdfx@feather.localdomain>
On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 02:34:20PM +0100, Reto wrote:
> On 22 February 2021 14:10:16 CET, Simon Ser <contact@emersion.fr> wrote:
>
> >The "insecure" option blindly trusts the cert. So I don't think it's a
> >big deal to *not* negotiate STARTTLS when insecure is explicitly
> >specified by the user.
>
> That's not what it does in aerc no. "insecure" tries to start a non encrypted plain text connection.
> There is no cert involved at all.
>
> *if* the server advertises support for starttls we bail out saying that this is probably not what you should be doing.
> If starttls is available you really should use it. Anything else is most likely a configuration mistake.
>
> The whole connection string is a frequent point of confusion, people tend to brute force various combinations instead of reading what the options do.
> (Based on our bug tracker / irc)
> Now, while one can make the point that well this is what you asked for it's rather bad in the above case.

... And that shouldn't have been sent as I was still drafting it.
Disregard it please.

Apparently we do two very different things in the imap connection code and the
smtp connection code.

We need to unify, either way.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)