~sircmpwn/aerc

8 5

go to & move to mailbox features in aerc?

Ondřej Synáček
<24D5C45E-BC44-4460-9F21-EB171AD712F5@fastmail.com>
Hello. I’ve been so far toying with aerc and I like it. However
my current email client has this feature that I’ve grown to really
like and I was wondering if there’s an option to replicate it
within aerc.

I’m using Mailmate which is GUI application. If you press META+T
small popup window opens where I can type. As I type, it creates
a filtered list of mailboxes and I can then quickly switch to
specific mailbox. There’s also similar way to move currently opened
email to given mailbox in the same fashion. This is really my favorite
way of navigating between mailboxes.

Is there a way to replicate this setup within aerc? Thanks.
<C984WVZZ85XN.35NA8BQ6Y3LLP@localhost>
In-Reply-To
<24D5C45E-BC44-4460-9F21-EB171AD712F5@fastmail.com> (view parent)
On Fri Feb 12, 2021 at 7:47 PM UTC, Ondřej Synáček wrote:
> Hello. I’ve been so far toying with aerc and I like it. However
> my current email client has this feature that I’ve grown to really
> like and I was wondering if there’s an option to replicate it
> within aerc.

Yes. Read `man aerc-config` as well as ~/.config/aerc/binds.conf

> If you press META+T
> small popup window opens where I can type.

It seems binding meta commands is not yet implemented (maybe a good first issue for you?)

> As I type, it creates
> a filtered list of mailboxes and I can then quickly switch to
> specific mailbox.

:change-tab supports tab completion

you may also consider :cf, for changing folders.

> There’s also similar way to move currently opened
> email to given mailbox in the same fashion. This is really my favorite
> way of navigating between mailboxes.

<C-m> = :move

configuration to download emails locally

Ondřej Synáček
<C98PM2FYWKG0.2F9N948DYW4XM@Prefab.local>
In-Reply-To
<24D5C45E-BC44-4460-9F21-EB171AD712F5@fastmail.com> (view parent)
I'm not very experienced with CLI-based email clients so I'm getting confused
on how to configure aerc to my needs.
I looked at man pages and see that aerc supports maildir format. I configured
aerc to use IMAP and I assume that no messages are downloaded.
How would I go about storing the messages offline, possibly into maildir format?
I suppose that is what is recommended?

Re: configuration to download emails locally

Kian Kasad
<20210213213919.raf67vcgd5gl7h6k@frisbee>
In-Reply-To
<C98PM2FYWKG0.2F9N948DYW4XM@Prefab.local> (view parent)
On 21/02/13 10:10PM, Ondřej Synáček wrote:
> I'm not very experienced with CLI-based email clients so I'm getting confused
> on how to configure aerc to my needs.
> I looked at man pages and see that aerc supports maildir format. I configured
> aerc to use IMAP and I assume that no messages are downloaded.
> How would I go about storing the messages offline, possibly into maildir format?
> I suppose that is what is recommended?

There are many programs which can download messages from an IMAP server
and store them in a Maildir format. The one I recommend is mbsync [1]
(also called isync). It's very easy to set up and works reliably.

1. https://isync.sourceforge.io/

--
Kian Kasad
PGP 0x1715EEAA14DAEC1

Re: configuration to download emails locally

<YChPdV11ogaUT5ND@gaia>
On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 10:10:08PM +0100, Ondřej Synáček wrote:
> I'm not very experienced with CLI-based email clients so I'm getting confused
> on how to configure aerc to my needs.
> I looked at man pages and see that aerc supports maildir format. I configured
> aerc to use IMAP and I assume that no messages are downloaded.
> How would I go about storing the messages offline, possibly into maildir format?
> I suppose that is what is recommended?

Maildir assumes your email is already locally available. You can use
tools like mbsync/isync to synchronize it locally over IMAP or you can
use POP3 protocol to remove from the mail server and store locally on
your machine (which is not a good thing IMO).

Then you just point aerc that it should read from the Maildir on
whatever folder you have on your workstation. Lastly but not least,
you'll need to write a service/timer to periodically run mbsync/isync
and keep things in check.

This is a nice reference, which I used when I started to mess around
with mbsync, you can definetely extract things from it:

https://people.kernel.org/mcgrof/replacing-offlineimap-with-mbsync

Cheers,
Pedro Lucas

Re: configuration to download emails locally

Ondřej Synáček
<C8D4F04A-34F1-4E34-8CC2-A0769B5033DD@fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<YChPdV11ogaUT5ND@gaia> (view parent)
> Lastly but not least,
> you'll need to write a service/timer to periodically run mbsync/isync
> and keep things in check.

Interesting. I don’t know much about email but I thought that IMAP would
have some sort of push capability and there would be some daemon I could
set up that would monitor the changes and then call `mbsync` when changes
happened. I guess polling is alright (or maybe the only option?)

> This is a nice reference, which I used when I started to mess around
> with mbsync, you can definetely extract things from it:
>
> https://people.kernel.org/mcgrof/replacing-offlineimap-with-mbsync

Good read. Thanks.

Re: configuration to download emails locally

<50108B7C-2455-4194-8CC9-3C82F4316F9E@labrat.space>
In-Reply-To
<C8D4F04A-34F1-4E34-8CC2-A0769B5033DD@fastmail.com> (view parent)
On 14 February 2021 22:18:01 CET, "Ondřej
>Interesting. I don’t know much about email but I thought that IMAP
>would
>have some sort of push capability and there would be some daemon I
>could
>set up that would monitor the changes and then call `mbsync` when
>changes
>happened. I guess polling is alright (or maybe the only option?)

That's IMAP idle (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2177).
Problem is that most providers only allow a handful of connections per client, chances are (if you are like me) you have more folders than that.

There's no such thing as watching *everything* unless you have a virtual "all mails" folder (or don't filter server side...
If everything arrives in INBOX you are all set).

So polling is kinda what's left for the cases where idle isn't good enough.

Given that email for me isn't *that* time critical I just sync in intervals of 15 minutes unless I know I just received a mail
(invite links, order confirmation...)

For mailing lists that really is good enough for me.

Re: configuration to download emails locally

Ondřej Synáček
<C9A92ZPE1JTK.3HN7J17T0MBB1@Prefab.local>
In-Reply-To
<50108B7C-2455-4194-8CC9-3C82F4316F9E@labrat.space> (view parent)
> So polling is kinda what's left for the cases where idle isn't good
> enough.
>
> Given that email for me isn't *that* time critical I just sync in
> intervals of 15 minutes unless I know I just received a mail
> (invite links, order confirmation...)

Yeah I think that is fine enough for me, even for personal mail, I might
do 5 minutes instead of 15 though.

I have set up a cronjob that launches shell script which in turn calls
`isync` to check for the mail. Is there anything more sophisticated
that I should be using?

Re: configuration to download emails locally

<20741A8D-1665-4186-92D9-065FB404DEBD@labrat.space>
In-Reply-To
<C9A92ZPE1JTK.3HN7J17T0MBB1@Prefab.local> (view parent)
On 15 February 2021 17:38:16 CET, "Ondřej Synáček" <ondrejsynacek@fastmail.com> wrote:
>I have set up a cronjob that launches shell script which in turn calls
>`isync` to check for the mail. Is there anything more sophisticated
>that I should be using?

I prefer systemd timers over cron but they essentially do similar things.
The benefit of timers is that you need to write a service file which you can also run manually,
outside of the usual timeframe without having to worry about multiple instances running at the same time
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)