~sircmpwn/aerc

1

aerc is laggy on my terminal

<713319d8-99f5-4901-bba5-e1c6b6be2184@www.fastmail.com>
1. I am wondering why aerc takes time to render email and also why it is a bit slow when switching folders.
If I go to my inbox and then start scrolling down my messages, messages will start appearing as I scroll down, progressively (a [..] symbol is shown) as they load. Can aerc not download all headers in a folder by default (when it is opened) ? (and cache them later?)

2. A separate more annoying lagginess happens when I switch folder, when I press the 'J' key, the response is not fast, I cannot successively press the 'J' key many times and quickly change folder, the selected folder cursor takes some time to move from one folder to the next. That really beats the purspose of using a cli tool in my case.

What might be happening in my terminal? does anybody else experience this?

Anil F
<CGZAWXNMN43Z.1RAPXTV3843N4@diabtop>
In-Reply-To
<713319d8-99f5-4901-bba5-e1c6b6be2184@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
Anil Felipe Duggirala, Jan 02, 2022 at 13:37:
> 1. I am wondering why aerc takes time to render email and also why it
>    is a bit slow when switching folders. If I go to my inbox and then
>    start scrolling down my messages, messages will start appearing as
>    I scroll down, progressively (a [..] symbol is shown) as they load.
>    Can aerc not download all headers in a folder by default (when it
>    is opened) ? (and cache them later?)
>
> 2. A separate more annoying lagginess happens when I switch folder,
>    when I press the 'J' key, the response is not fast, I cannot
>    successively press the 'J' key many times and quickly change
>    folder, the selected folder cursor takes some time to move from one
>    folder to the next. That really beats the purspose of using a cli
>    tool in my case.
>
> What might be happening in my terminal? does anybody else experience
> this?

I do not think this has anything to do with your terminal. Are you using
IMAP? If so, aerc is known to be slow with IMAP. No local caching is
supported at the moment so the client has to fetch the message headers
every time to change folders.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)