~sircmpwn/aerc

8 4

aerc is laggy on my terminal

Details
Message ID
<713319d8-99f5-4901-bba5-e1c6b6be2184@www.fastmail.com>
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
1. I am wondering why aerc takes time to render email and also why it is a bit slow when switching folders.
If I go to my inbox and then start scrolling down my messages, messages will start appearing as I scroll down, progressively (a [..] symbol is shown) as they load. Can aerc not download all headers in a folder by default (when it is opened) ? (and cache them later?)

2. A separate more annoying lagginess happens when I switch folder, when I press the 'J' key, the response is not fast, I cannot successively press the 'J' key many times and quickly change folder, the selected folder cursor takes some time to move from one folder to the next. That really beats the purspose of using a cli tool in my case.

What might be happening in my terminal? does anybody else experience this?

Anil F
Details
Message ID
<CGZAWXNMN43Z.1RAPXTV3843N4@diabtop>
In-Reply-To
<713319d8-99f5-4901-bba5-e1c6b6be2184@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Anil Felipe Duggirala, Jan 02, 2022 at 13:37:
> 1. I am wondering why aerc takes time to render email and also why it
>    is a bit slow when switching folders. If I go to my inbox and then
>    start scrolling down my messages, messages will start appearing as
>    I scroll down, progressively (a [..] symbol is shown) as they load.
>    Can aerc not download all headers in a folder by default (when it
>    is opened) ? (and cache them later?)
>
> 2. A separate more annoying lagginess happens when I switch folder,
>    when I press the 'J' key, the response is not fast, I cannot
>    successively press the 'J' key many times and quickly change
>    folder, the selected folder cursor takes some time to move from one
>    folder to the next. That really beats the purspose of using a cli
>    tool in my case.
>
> What might be happening in my terminal? does anybody else experience
> this?

I do not think this has anything to do with your terminal. Are you using
IMAP? If so, aerc is known to be slow with IMAP. No local caching is
supported at the moment so the client has to fetch the message headers
every time to change folders.
Details
Message ID
<f8bc9345-43eb-4134-8e36-4bd4c3b72d6c@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CGZAWXNMN43Z.1RAPXTV3843N4@diabtop> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Fri, Jan 7, 2022, at 3:32 AM, Robin Jarry wrote:

> I do not think this has anything to do with your terminal. Are you using
> IMAP? If so, aerc is known to be slow with IMAP. No local caching is
> supported at the moment so the client has to fetch the message headers
> every time to change folders.

I see. Well that basically makes using aerc less useful. I now understand there is no local caching, but is there a way to store the email locally? or that is also not supported yet?

thank you, very much,
Details
Message ID
<CHRB4U9WFUZO.2JL7M71DQZRDN@nwspc>
In-Reply-To
<f8bc9345-43eb-4134-8e36-4bd4c3b72d6c@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
DKIM signature
fail
Download raw message
DKIM signature: fail
Try maildir, or maybe this will be added:
https://lists.sr.ht/~rjarry/aerc-devel/patches/29186
Details
Message ID
<CHRESDD5AJ45.FSVQE816ZZ6W@diabtop>
In-Reply-To
<CHRB4U9WFUZO.2JL7M71DQZRDN@nwspc> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
Vladimír Magyar, Feb 09, 2022 at 07:37:
> Try maildir, or maybe this will be added:
> https://lists.sr.ht/~rjarry/aerc-devel/patches/29186

I need to review this last version. I got sidetracked with other things
this week. Hopefully soon(tm) :)
Details
Message ID
<20af76042e350b7f20f3bb0b9fde4ab3db6ae14e.camel@posteo.mx>
In-Reply-To
<CHRESDD5AJ45.FSVQE816ZZ6W@diabtop> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Wed, 2022-02-09 at 10:29 +0100, Robin Jarry sent:

> From:	Robin Jarry <robin@jarry.cc>
> To:	[...], ~sircmpwn/aerc@lists.sr.ht
> Sender:	~sircmpwn/aerc <~sircmpwn/aerc@lists.sr.ht>

Have we switched back to the old list? Normally when mail arives from
Drew's list, Robin/you mention(s) that the list is now at
<~rjarry/aerc@lists.sr.ht>, but is missing from the past couple of
threads.

Cheers,
-- 
DJ Chase
They, Them, Theirs
Details
Message ID
<CHRVXVQXCJDN.U1RYOULXI746@ringo>
In-Reply-To
<20af76042e350b7f20f3bb0b9fde4ab3db6ae14e.camel@posteo.mx> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
DJ Chase, Feb 09, 2022 at 22:56:
> Have we switched back to the old list? Normally when mail arives from
> Drew's list, Robin/you mention(s) that the list is now at
> <~rjarry/aerc@lists.sr.ht>, but is missing from the past couple of
> threads.

Actually, it is <~rjarry/aerc-devel@lists.sr.ht>.
                             ^^^^^^
I forgot to add the new list as Cc: in my first reply. I guess everyone
simply did reply all without giving it more thought.

I am subscribed to both lists and I get them both in my INBOX. Hard to
see the difference :)
Details
Message ID
<85d5dd758533fc78ce0ae876e1f51b132d80a88b.camel@posteo.mx>
In-Reply-To
<CHRVXVQXCJDN.U1RYOULXI746@ringo> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Wed, 2022-02-09 at 23:56 +0100, Robin Jarry wrote:
> DJ Chase, Feb 09, 2022 at 22:56:
> > Have we switched back to the old list? Normally when mail arives from
> > Drew's list, Robin/you mention(s) that the list is now at
> > <~rjarry/aerc[-devel]@lists.sr.ht>, but is missing from the past couple of
> > threads.
> 
> I forgot to add the new list as Cc: in my first reply. I guess everyone
> simply did reply all without giving it more thought.
> 
> I am subscribed to both lists and I get them both in my INBOX. Hard to
> see the difference :)

That makes sense; thanks for the clarification.

For those not subscribed to Drew's list, here are the "past couple of
threads" that I mentioned:

https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/aerc/%3C713319d8-99f5-4901-bba5-e1c6b6be2184%40www.fastmail.com%3E

https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/aerc/%3C68f82460-d2a4-4eb5-9140-04d04659dd34%40www.fastmail.com%3E

https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/aerc/%3CCHK12RY7Y069.1AV2NKOSX7JOS%40pop-os%3E

Cheers,
-- 
DJ Chase
They, Them, Theirs
Details
Message ID
<7484b31d-4019-421c-aa4c-2ccca021fd85@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CHRVXVQXCJDN.U1RYOULXI746@ringo> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
On Wed, Feb 9, 2022, at 5:56 PM, Robin Jarry wrote:
> DJ Chase, Feb 09, 2022 at 22:56:
>> Have we switched back to the old list? Normally when mail arives from
>> Drew's list, Robin/you mention(s) that the list is now at
>> <~rjarry/aerc@lists.sr.ht>, but is missing from the past couple of
>> threads.

I wrote to this list  (~sircmpwn/aerc@lists.sr.ht), because it was the only one I could find that didn't have the word "devel" in it. I thought <~rjarry/aerc-devel@lists.sr.ht>, was only for development issues. I am just a user.

> Actually, it is <~rjarry/aerc-devel@lists.sr.ht>.
>                              ^^^^^^

I will start using this list from now on.
Thank you,

Anil
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)