~sircmpwn/aerc

1

[DISCUSS] Config file permission enforcement

Andreas Rammhold
<C0KLIH5UWE2G.LPUOBCRVFD5S@wrt>

I've started using aerc for a bit now and one of the patches that I
carry disables the config file permission enforcement. While I think
that is a good practice (by default) I had to drop it since my
configuration is generated as part of my NixOS configuration (and thus
world readable). That isn't an isssue since I am not storing any
passwords or otherwise really confidential information in there.

What would be acceptable ways to disable that check? As it looks aerc
does try to not accept (many) commandline arguments? Does adding a flag
to the config file that disables this check sound reasonable?

Thank you for creating aerc!

Regards,

andi-
<C0L52V6XR869.1647QYY1W8HDC@homura>
In-Reply-To
<C0KLIH5UWE2G.LPUOBCRVFD5S@wrt> (view parent)
I would rather not add flags for footguns. I think Nix should be
extended to allow you to update permissions instead.