~sircmpwn/aerc

2 2

Crashes, freezes and annoyances

<C2R3NQIDR6WY.3RDNWFB67W5TK@Iluminator>

aerc has some problem with multiple selected messages. When trying to
mark cca. 100 messages as read it freezes ui completely. When trying to
delete more then cca 50 messages from IMAP folder it crashes. Maybe
there is some correlation with selecting messages via PgUp and PgDown.

Just random rants, in case someone cares about them:

At this moment Aerc is that much unstable that I will revert back to
Mutt probably soon. There are minor issues...
Like using external pager for mail viewing just doesn't work for me,
aerc grabs some keys so I cannot use "-S" in less, without remapping one
program or other. Not good default I'd say.
I don't know why It bells every now and then. There is no way how I can
find out, and mostly it looks like there is nothing interesting, so it
took my attention for nothing.
The workers are unable to recover after network disconnection. So I have
Aerc open, put my computer to sleep and I have to restart Aerc.

Last might be actually more importat: I don't think it is good measure
to gather credentials for outgoing account without actually needing to
send anything. I think it should throw away credential after they are
used once and get them again when they are needed.

Even though Aerc is buggy the general idea seems to work well. So thank
you for your work so far.

Cheers,
Vladimir
<BB3AC5D2-4EEC-47B9-A3D5-93299C023B73@labrat.space>
In-Reply-To
<C2R3NQIDR6WY.3RDNWFB67W5TK@Iluminator> (view parent)
On 15 May 2020 08:46:45 CEST, "Vladimír Dudr" <vladimir@tango-dj.cz> wrote:

>At this moment Aerc is that much unstable that I will revert back to
>Mutt probably soon. There are minor issues...

Feel free.
You do realize that aerc was never marked as stable and is still in an early state yes? It's even mentioned on the homepage that there are bugs.

>Like using external pager for mail viewing just doesn't work for me,
>aerc grabs some keys so I cannot use "-S" in less, without remapping
>one
>program or other. Not good default I'd say.

The defaults are fine, the key grabbing is a bug no one took the time to fix.

>I don't know why It bells every now and then. There is no way how I can
>find out, and mostly it looks like there is nothing interesting, so it
>took my attention for nothing.

It bells if there are new messages in the open inbox per account (or upon errors iirc).

>The workers are unable to recover after network disconnection. So I
>have
>Aerc open, put my computer to sleep and I have to restart Aerc.

Yes, known deficiency no one took the time to fix yet... starting to see a pattern?

>Last might be actually more importat: I don't think it is good measure
>to gather credentials for outgoing account without actually needing to
>send anything. I think it should throw away credential after they are
>used once and get them again when they are needed.

You can already achieve that if you use an outgoing cred command. Aerc will load that on demand.

But to be honest, why would it be a problem if aerc loads it upon startup? After all whether malware grabs it from memory or the config file directly makes absolutely no difference. If you are concerned about that use gpg and something like pass. Then aerc will happily ask every time for the password.

If you'd like to fix some of those bugs instead of ranting, why don't you join us in #aerc-dev on freenode?
I'll happily point you in the right direction.

Regards,
Reto
<C2S07921RMO7.1S4DENLTE9F3A@Iluminator>
In-Reply-To
<BB3AC5D2-4EEC-47B9-A3D5-93299C023B73@labrat.space> (view parent)
> >At this moment Aerc is that much unstable that I will revert back to
> >Mutt probably soon. There are minor issues...
>
> Feel free.
> You do realize that aerc was never marked as stable and is still in an
> early state yes? It's even mentioned on the homepage that there are
> bugs.
Mutt sucks, aerc crashes. I know, I was warned, I tried I am ranting. My
problem, I am just sharing my problems without any hate.

> >Like using external pager for mail viewing just doesn't work for me,
> >aerc grabs some keys so I cannot use "-S" in less, without remapping
> >one
> >program or other. Not good default I'd say.
>
> The defaults are fine, the key grabbing is a bug no one took the time to
> fix.
Hm, I did not find anything on bug tracker related, but maybe I was not
searching hard enough.

> >I don't know why It bells every now and then. There is no way how I can
> >find out, and mostly it looks like there is nothing interesting, so it
> >took my attention for nothing.
>
> It bells if there are new messages in the open inbox per account (or
> upon errors iirc).
Well, it bells in maildir which I sync manually, so there are some
errors then.

> >The workers are unable to recover after network disconnection. So I
> >have
> >Aerc open, put my computer to sleep and I have to restart Aerc.
>
> Yes, known deficiency no one took the time to fix yet... starting to see
> a pattern?
Now I found related issue on tracker. I see the patter, of course.

> >Last might be actually more importat: I don't think it is good measure
> >to gather credentials for outgoing account without actually needing to
> >send anything. I think it should throw away credential after they are
> >used once and get them again when they are needed.
>
> You can already achieve that if you use an outgoing cred command. Aerc
> will load that on demand.
Not really, I am using pass. When I open aerc I get asked to open
keyring, when I deny, aerc aerc exits with this one:

Failed to load config: Invalid outgoing credentials for tango-dj: failed to read password: exit status 2

So I deduce it collects all credentials on start even when password
command is set.

> But to be honest, why would it be a problem if aerc loads it upon
> startup? After all whether malware grabs it from memory or the config
> file directly makes absolutely no difference. If you are concerned about
> that use gpg and something like pass. Then aerc will happily ask every
> time for the password.
And gpg-agent lets malware grab my passwords few minutes after I open
keyring, I know. Fetching them in one round on start is not a
big deal mostly. But imagine someone does not want to use gpg-agent, or
wants to enter the passwords via pinentry directly. If such a person has
5 accounts, on aerc starting would have to go through 10 password
dialogs... But it is probably not very common pattern though.

> If you'd like to fix some of those bugs instead of ranting, why don't
> you join us in #aerc-dev on freenode?
> I'll happily point you in the right direction.
I was actually thinking to do so. I want my email setup to work nicely,
but there is no email client without major issues. Aerc goes pretty well
with my mindset, so helping making it stable would be worth my (very
limited) time and solve my problem...

Cheers,
Vladimír