~sircmpwn/aerc

4 2

notmuch: Unknown backend notmuch

Tyler Childs
<C5RIZCMS46FT.1UQWNS9SVNYE1@XPS-13-9360>
Hey :)

I'm trying to switch from using aerc with IMAP to notmuch. Below is my
current config, however when I run aerc, I get the error "Unknown
backend notmuch".

When I originally ran make, I forgot the flag, but tried again with
`GOFLAGS=-tags=/usr/bin/notmuch make -B` and I'm assuming that worked.

[Personal]
source   = notmuch://~/.mail/.notmuch
outgoing = smtps+plain://re:dacted@smtp.example.com:465
default  = INBOX
from     = Tyler Childs <email@tychi.me>
copy-to  = Sent

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tyler
<F6C5197A-CF4D-4050-B666-D674CDE5C0F6@labrat.space>
In-Reply-To
<C5RIZCMS46FT.1UQWNS9SVNYE1@XPS-13-9360> (view parent)
On 19 September 2020 19:35:07 CEST, Tyler Childs >however when I run aerc, I get the error "Unknown
>backend notmuch".

Yes, you didn't compile it in.

>When I originally ran make, I forgot the flag, but tried again with
>`GOFLAGS=-tags=/usr/bin/notmuch make -B` and I'm assuming that worked.

No, that's not how this works... that's not how any of this works.

Don't deviate from the instructions in the readme.
`GOFLAGS=-tags=notmuch make`

You need the notmuch header file (notmuch.h) in the usual library path and a working c compiler.

What distro are you on? Most of them have a corresponding notmuch package that bundles it (libnotmuch, notmuch-dev or whatever)

Cheers,
Reto
Tyler Childs
<C5SAZF4D51G1.51XNCPZBOOD2@XPS-13-9360>
In-Reply-To
<F6C5197A-CF4D-4050-B666-D674CDE5C0F6@labrat.space> (view parent)
On Sun Sep 20, 2020 at 2:50 AM PDT, Reto wrote:
> You need the notmuch header file (notmuch.h) in the usual library path
> and a working c compiler.

This is where I was getting tripped up. I've installed notmuch on
Ubuntu with `apt install notmuch`. When compiling aerc was getting a
fatal error for not locating the header file.

From your guidance, installing libnotmuch-dev got me unblocked and aerc
compiled with notmuch. I think I'm really close, but have a new error
now:

> could not connect to notmuch db: Something went wrong trying to read
> or write a file

In my config, I've got `notmuch://~/.mail/.notmuch`. Any tips for this
one?

Gratitudes,
Tyler
<9544058D-FFBC-420D-90AF-020A388BEFC0@labrat.space>
In-Reply-To
<C5SAZF4D51G1.51XNCPZBOOD2@XPS-13-9360> (view parent)
On 20 September 2020 17:31:43 CEST, Tyler Childs <email@tychi.me> wrote:
>From your guidance, installing libnotmuch-d
>In my config, I've got `notmuch://~/.mail/.notmuch`. Any tips for this
>one?

source = notmuch://~/.mail

The .notmuch folder is implied and must not be specified.
Tyler Childs
<C5SEOQQ0BPUI.1NKWG2ND9NYCC@XPS-13-9360>
In-Reply-To
<9544058D-FFBC-420D-90AF-020A388BEFC0@labrat.space> (view parent)
Reto, thanks so much for helping me get this set up and also for
integrating notmuch with aerc, your work is super appreciated :)

Cheers,
Tyler
Export thread (mbox)