~sircmpwn/aerc

1

Re: Saving sent emails when using notmuch

<C6350NKUOY7D.34A6M6Y7LGVOT@emails>
I have multiple accounts, setup in a similar way to you (I think):
~/mail/{one,two,...}/{Inbox,Sent,Spam,...}/{cur,new,tmp}/

Aside from adding SMPT server details to me aerc config I haven't done
anything to setup the sending part of the email process. I'm just
relying on aerc to do that for me.

Do I need to switch to using a separate tool? msmtp? Then I can config
the separate tool to manage the outgoing email via mbsync and notmuch?
Presumably I then tell aerc to use the new tool for sending?

Or are there hooks in aerc that I can attach to and keep the existing
sending setup?

I'm coming from a history of slow and frustrating GUI email clients. I'm
keen to learn how all this works, but I'm a little behind on the tooling
and terminology (sorry!).

Thanks for your help :)

Re: Saving sent emails when using notmuch

<20201003093734.uucy3e3mq6h3g7jg@feather.localdomain>
In-Reply-To
<C6350NKUOY7D.34A6M6Y7LGVOT@emails> (view parent)
On Sat, Oct 03, 2020 at 09:10:33AM +0000, William Mayor wrote:
> I have multiple accounts, setup in a similar way to you (I think):
> ~/mail/{one,two,...}/{Inbox,Sent,Spam,...}/{cur,new,tmp}/

Yes, if one / two etc are different email addresses / accounts that'd be the same.

> Aside from adding SMPT server details to me aerc config I haven't done
> anything to setup the sending part of the email process. I'm just
> relying on aerc to do that for me.

Yeah, that's not going to work.

Problem being that the mail server from one account (say test@gmail.com) can't send
email from spam@labrat.space. At least not if the server is properly setup and uses
things like DKIM / SPF and DMARC.

Meaning, if you manage multiple accounts via notmuch, you'll need to have a tool
that chooses the outgoing server based on the from address.
Aerc doesn't do that as of now. Hence msmtp...
You can essentially use it as a multiplexer.

> Do I need to switch to using a separate tool? msmtp? Then I can config
> the separate tool to manage the outgoing email via mbsync and notmuch?
> Presumably I then tell aerc to use the new tool for sending?

Not quite, msmtp does only one thing, actually hand over the mail to the proper server
(if you use the corresponding flags that is).

It won't copy the mail to the sent folder.

You can however do that with a script, aerc will simply pass the message into the
stdin of whatever you specify so you can build your own logic there.

I don't think there's an off the shelve thing though, so you'll need to write a bash
or python script or whatever.

> Or are there hooks in aerc that I can attach to and keep the existing
> sending setup?

Yes and no:
No if you keep the existing outgoing setup (smtp://).
Yes if you use the sendmail like command functionality (/bin/$whatever)

> I'm coming from a history of slow and frustrating GUI email clients. I'm
> keen to learn how all this works, but I'm a little behind on the tooling
> and terminology (sorry!).

No worries, if you hop into IRC (#aerc on freenode) it may be faster than ping pong-ing mails though.

Cheers,
Reto
Export thread (mbox)