Re: aerc 0.6.0

<CFLZH4FXNVOE.2ISWJGX7R5MRA@diabtop>
Hi inwit,

inwit, Nov 10, 2021 at 09:44:
> On a side note, I've tried to apply the notmuch/IMAP threading patch
> proposed by y0ast [0] to the new fork but I get some conflicts.
> Unfortunately, my shallow understanding of go and of aerc's codebase
> doesn't allow me to grasp what is going on, so I haven't been able to
> solve them. It'd be so nice to have threading support in the future.

Yes I have tried to apply it and I had conflicts too.

In any case, there is an issue with this threading feature. Very few
IMAP servers support the THREAD extension. This means that we need to do
the sorting on the client side. This requires a local email archive or
cache which aerc does not have yet for the IMAP backend.

--
Robin

Re: aerc 0.6.0

<CFM0FO6LTJPQ.27A3NDKNN5D07@bisio>
In-Reply-To
<CFLZH4FXNVOE.2ISWJGX7R5MRA@diabtop> (view parent)
On Wed Nov 10, 2021 at 10:14 AM CET, Robin Jarry wrote:
> In any case, there is an issue with this threading feature. Very few
> IMAP servers support the THREAD extension. This means that we need to do
> the sorting on the client side. This requires a local email archive or
> cache which aerc does not have yet for the IMAP backend.
Understood. Afaiac, it was working quite fine with the previous aerc version.

Regards,

> --
> Robin

Threading feature

<CFM0NJSEWPKL.30W9HPKDFE587@diabtop>
In-Reply-To
<CFM0FO6LTJPQ.27A3NDKNN5D07@bisio> (view parent)
inwit, Nov 10, 2021 at 10:59:
> Understood. Afaiac, it was working quite fine with the previous aerc
> version.

OK I'll see if I can resolve the conflicts and apply on the current
master. Even if it is flaky, it would be better than nothing.

--
Robin

Re: aerc 0.6.0

<31d146db-c328-5877-9068-7b15f539c758@redbarn.org>

Robin Jarry wrote on 2021-11-10 01:14:

> In any case, there is an issue with this threading feature. Very few
> IMAP servers support the THREAD extension. This means that we need to do
> the sorting on the client side. This requires a local email archive or
> cache which aerc does not have yet for the IMAP backend.
i hope this is never done. i use imap as an archive, and there are
eleven (11) gigabytes among my folders, which i do not wish to have
cached in any form on my client. aerc is lean and mean and i hope it
will stay that way.

vixie

--
Sent from Postbox

Re: aerc 0.6.0

<CFM9C8AC676M.1OWZATVHHQLHE@diabtop>
In-Reply-To
<31d146db-c328-5877-9068-7b15f539c758@redbarn.org> (view parent)
Paul Vixie, Nov 10, 2021 at 17:27:
> i hope this is never done. i use imap as an archive, and there are
> eleven (11) gigabytes among my folders, which i do not wish to have
> cached in any form on my client. aerc is lean and mean and i hope it
> will stay that way.

If we implement a cache feature, it would obviously be disabled by
default. I know {neo,}mutt has a similar feature:

  https://gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/-/wikis/MuttGuide/Caching

I guess it would make sense to have this in aerc.

--
Robin

Re: aerc 0.6.0

<CFM94B978F1G.2F75AACB1ODCW@ace>
On Wed Nov 10, 2021 at 4:27 PM GMT, Paul Vixie wrote:
> Robin Jarry wrote on 2021-11-10 01:14:
> >
> > In any case, there is an issue with this threading feature. Very few
> > IMAP servers support the THREAD extension. This means that we need to do
> > the sorting on the client side. This requires a local email archive or
> > cache which aerc does not have yet for the IMAP backend.
>
> i hope this is never done. i use imap as an archive, and there are
> eleven (11) gigabytes among my folders, which i do not wish to have
> cached in any form on my client. aerc is lean and mean and i hope it
> will stay that way.

Perhaps local indexing and caching can be optional, off by default, and
only for INBOX. Given a user with good email discipline, would you
consider this sensible?

Afaik, we need only to concern ourselfs with the following headers per
RFC 5322 <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversation_threading>:

- Message-ID
- In-Reply-To