~sircmpwn/aerc

4 4

Reply from different account in a multi-account setup

<qe2mEO-3eXeRss2csKPOZ53izLtg2N4Me1jH9wrBi0dcMSli2mImRKV_0mwulcMt5QwnCL3SSOEUFEPn0dnORooatTvphX8euot8vHYgCo8=@sbinet.org>
hi there,

I have an aerc setup configured to send/receive emails from different
accounts:

- me@org1.org
- me@org2.org

they all get .forward-ed to a 3rd one: me@other.org

from times to times, I get an email from org1 (because it's subscribed
to some mailing list) being forwarded to other.org (so I read it from the
"other.org" tab account.)

I'd like to be able to reply from that tab-account (with a reply-quote),
but changing the account from which that email will be sent (otherwise
the mailing list will complain "other.org" isn't a subscribed address:
it's true, only org1 is subscribed).

Typing "rq" and then changing the "From" field doesn't work.
(aerc effectively complains the "From" address is unknown).

Would there be interest in me providing and sending a patch for that?
(or perhaps that's already possible and I just have fat fingers...)

-s
Krzysztof Konopko
<C9RQCYE9OXE9.35WVIQM4VJ84O@thinkpad>
In-Reply-To
<qe2mEO-3eXeRss2csKPOZ53izLtg2N4Me1jH9wrBi0dcMSli2mImRKV_0mwulcMt5QwnCL3SSOEUFEPn0dnORooatTvphX8euot8vHYgCo8=@sbinet.org> (view parent)
On Sun Mar 7, 2021 at 6:30 PM CET, Sebastien Binet wrote:
Hi Sebastien,

> hi there,
>
> I have an aerc setup configured to send/receive emails from different
> accounts:
>
> - me@org1.org
> - me@org2.org
>
> they all get .forward-ed to a 3rd one: me@other.org
>
> from times to times, I get an email from org1 (because it's subscribed
> to some mailing list) being forwarded to other.org (so I read it from
> the
> "other.org" tab account.)
>
> I'd like to be able to reply from that tab-account (with a reply-quote),
> but changing the account from which that email will be sent (otherwise
> the mailing list will complain "other.org" isn't a subscribed address:
> it's true, only org1 is subscribed).
>
> Typing "rq" and then changing the "From" field doesn't work.
> (aerc effectively complains the "From" address is unknown).
>
> Would there be interest in me providing and sending a patch for that?
> (or perhaps that's already possible and I just have fat fingers...)
>
> -s

I'm not sure really, trying to figure it all out as well (I'm a fairly
new user).  But it sounds like it's more relevant to how you configured
the 'outgoing' part of each of your accounts?

Maybe have a look at the `aliases` option (and the hints in the
documentation)?

Kris
<20210308063830.z4robm5gm3cu2ybv@feather.localdomain>

On Sun, Mar 07, 2021 at 05:30:24PM +0000, Sebastien Binet wrote:
> I'd like to be able to reply from that tab-account (with a reply-quote),
> but changing the account from which that email will be sent (otherwise
> the mailing list will complain "other.org" isn't a subscribed address:
> it's true, only org1 is subscribed).

What you want to do is indeed possible, however not with aerc alone.
The way it (currently) works in aerc is that an account has a hard account
relationship, meaning a specific inbox is mapped to a single account (and hence
set of credentials).

Now, depending on the remote server you are submitting your email to this
might work, generally though you can't submit mail from asdf@gmail.com over to
whatever@migadu.com and expect migadu to deliver the email impersonating gmail...
That would mean they have an incompetent postmaster ;)

So, the way to get around that is to not use aerc's built-in smtp support but
defer to an external command that can do the multiplexing (msmtp is a nice one
I personally use, handling my notmuch addresses).

> Would there be interest in me providing and sending a patch for that?
> (or perhaps that's already possible and I just have fat fingers...)

Yes there would be, however that would mean a major restructuring of the account
and credentials logic.
Also we'd need to figure out what to do with the copy-to-sent and whatever features.
Which mailbox should we now copy the email to? The one we sent it from, the other
that "owns" the address?

So consider the patch non trivial.

Cheers,
Reto
<bflGbclQtetedPUlP8PnRxKkEUFwWze2v8GdSAowhc8@cp3-web-016.plabs.ch>
In-Reply-To
<20210308063830.z4robm5gm3cu2ybv@feather.localdomain> (view parent)
hi,

On Mon Mar 8, 2021 at 07:38 CET, Reto wrote:
> Hi Sebastien,
>
> On Sun, Mar 07, 2021 at 05:30:24PM +0000, Sebastien Binet wrote:
> > I'd like to be able to reply from that tab-account (with a reply-quote),
> > but changing the account from which that email will be sent (otherwise
> > the mailing list will complain "other.org" isn't a subscribed address:
> > it's true, only org1 is subscribed).
>
> What you want to do is indeed possible, however not with aerc alone.
> The way it (currently) works in aerc is that an account has a hard
> account
> relationship, meaning a specific inbox is mapped to a single account
> (and hence
> set of credentials).
>
> Now, depending on the remote server you are submitting your email to
> this
> might work, generally though you can't submit mail from asdf@gmail.com
> over to
> whatever@migadu.com and expect migadu to deliver the email impersonating
> gmail...
> That would mean they have an incompetent postmaster ;)
>
> So, the way to get around that is to not use aerc's built-in smtp
> support but
> defer to an external command that can do the multiplexing (msmtp is a
> nice one
> I personally use, handling my notmuch addresses).

thanks.

I've caved and "resorted" to msmtp :)

I've had to use:
outgoing = ~/bin/mta

where 'mta' is a simple script that wraps msmtp with the additional
--read-envelope-from argument (and some others).
using:
outgoing = /usr/bin/msmtp --read-envelope-from
didn't work (exitcode 64).
I couldn't find a way to get more informations than that.

hth,
-s
<CAINKM65OI86.RJB2KVSELJ76@calvin-pc-arch>
On Mon Mar 8, 2021 at 6:38 AM GMT, Reto wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 07, 2021 at 05:30:24PM +0000, Sebastien Binet wrote:
>> I'd like to be able to reply from that tab-account (with a
>> reply-quote), but changing the account from which that email will be
>> sent (otherwise the mailing list will complain "other.org" isn't a
>> subscribed address: it's true, only org1 is subscribed).
> What you want to do is indeed possible, however not with aerc alone.
> The way it (currently) works in aerc is that an account has a hard
> account relationship, meaning a specific inbox is mapped to a single
> account (and hence set of credentials).  So, the way to get around
> that is to not use aerc's built-in smtp support but defer to an
> external command that can do the multiplexing (msmtp is a nice one I
> personally use, handling my notmuch addresses).

Just going to jump in as I think I'm facing the same thing:

Currently I copy mail from a load of disparate accounts and index with
notmuch. I have a notmuch account set up in Aerc in addition to some
imap accounts. When I want to search for an email and I'm not sure where
it even is I can jump over to the notmuch account and it's brilliant for
this. However, if I want to reply to said email I find myself in this
exact situation as well.

How do other people handle advanced searches? Am I making things
hard for myself or is the best approach going to be to use something
like msmtp instead if I want to reply?
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)