~sircmpwn/hare-users

12 6

Re: To compile simple Hare program

<CAJPeZBNq8+K+6NfaT7v+y9ShLVJ0vW4Kmvk3auaSDu7rYuRi_Q@mail.gmail.com>
Hi, is there a container that I can use to compile? So I do not have
to bootstrap and then compile the Hare Compiler. The whole process of
using source code to make compiler and use it seems to be difficult
for most casual users [I think].

Re: To compile simple Hare program

<CJYQ9UGMI8KD.7I7JZCMKN472@archlinux-x220>
In-Reply-To
<CAJPeZBNq8+K+6NfaT7v+y9ShLVJ0vW4Kmvk3auaSDu7rYuRi_Q@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Fri May 13, 2022 at 11:06 AM EDT, Milind Patil wrote:
> Hi, is there a container that I can use to compile? So I do not have
> to bootstrap and then compile the Hare Compiler. The whole process of
> using source code to make compiler and use it seems to be difficult
> for most casual users [I think].

Most casual users should install it through their system package
manager, if it is available yet.

Re: To compile simple Hare program

<CAJPeZBPqxKFGj34SZUMKWhLHAa+pX7DpA7oUoNQdJaX1eOSFwA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAJPeZBNq8+K+6NfaT7v+y9ShLVJ0vW4Kmvk3auaSDu7rYuRi_Q@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On ubuntu 18 - I did not find the system package manager. Any idea
which distribution of unix has it, so I can spin up one such OS?

Milind Patil <mkpatil@gmail.com>
Details
14 minutes ago

Hi, is there a container that I can use to compile? So I do not have
to bootstrap and then compile the Hare Compiler. The whole process of
using source code to make compiler and use it seems to be difficult
for most casual users [I think].

Re: To compile simple Hare program

Sebastian LaVine <mail@smlavine.com>
Details
10 minutes ago
DKIM signature:  fail

On Fri May 13, 2022 at 11:06 AM EDT, Milind Patil wrote:
> Hi, is there a container that I can use to compile? So I do not have
> to bootstrap and then compile the Hare Compiler. The whole process of
> using source code to make compiler and use it seems to be difficult
> for most casual users [I think].

Most casual users should install it through their system package
manager, if it is available yet.

Re: To compile simple Hare program

<f9b7a74f-afb6-46bc-b73b-bad0fa39ef39@regrow.earth>
In-Reply-To
<CAJPeZBPqxKFGj34SZUMKWhLHAa+pX7DpA7oUoNQdJaX1eOSFwA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
> On ubuntu 18 - I did not find the system package manager. Any idea
> which distribution of unix has it, so I can spin up one such OS?

qbe, harec and hare can be found in Alpine Linux's testing community
repositories, but it is actually quite easy to set it up on your local
systems, the whole process takes less than 5 minutes.

For qbe, you "git clone" the source code and run "make", then "make
install" as root to install it to your system.
For harec and hare the process is practically identical, though I think
you may need to also run "./configure" prior to running make with harec
at least.

Re: To compile simple Hare program

<CJYR1UONC78Z.XJKY7RX95CNO@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<f9b7a74f-afb6-46bc-b73b-bad0fa39ef39@regrow.earth> (view parent)
Users who are unable to follow Hare's extraordinarily simple
bootstrapping instructions are probably not in Hare's target audience.

Re: To compile simple Hare program

<6d8f8941-628c-43de-93b7-8a9c9a8a5d74@regrow.earth>
13 May 2022 17:45:07 Unicorn <unicorn@regrow.earth>:

>> On ubuntu 18 - I did not find the system package manager. Any idea
>> which distribution of unix has it, so I can spin up one such OS?
>
> qbe, harec and hare can be found in Alpine Linux's testing community
> repositories, but it is actually quite easy to set it up on your local
> systems, the whole process takes less than 5 minutes.
>
> For qbe, you "git clone" the source code and run "make", then "make
> install" as root to install it to your system.
> For harec and hare the process is practically identical, though I think
> you may need to also run "./configure" prior to running make with harec
> at least.

Also note dependencies listed in the respective sites, such as "scdoc" as
far as I remember. It is not a lot though and is more likely to be in
your repositories already.

Re: To compile simple Hare program

<56526c23-262f-44ac-91af-59c44050fc3b@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<6d8f8941-628c-43de-93b7-8a9c9a8a5d74@regrow.earth> (view parent)
On Fri, May 13, 2022, at 11:47 AM, Unicorn wrote:

> Also note dependencies listed in the respective sites, such as "scdoc" as
> far as I remember. It is not a lot though and is more likely to be in
> your repositories already.

I was pleased to find that I could install scdoc on Debian Testing via apt.

Re: To compile simple Hare program

<CAJPeZBMGefAt4R9fVhDqUSrSDkMFGbO0GWtjvLFJ2jDBGq_oGg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<6d8f8941-628c-43de-93b7-8a9c9a8a5d74@regrow.earth> (view parent)
I think Hare looks very promising - I have created a Docker image for
the public to use with all its dependencies. Please feel free to
play...

$ docker pull mkpatil/haredev
$ docker run -it mkpatil/haredev
$ echo "use fmt; export fn main() void = {fmt::println("Hello
World.")"'!'";};" > sample.ha
$ hare run sample.ha
Hello World.
$ exit

Regards,
Milind Patil

On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 10:47 AM Unicorn <unicorn@regrow.earth> wrote:

> 13 May 2022 17:45:07 Unicorn <unicorn@regrow.earth>:
>
> >> On ubuntu 18 - I did not find the system package manager. Any idea
> >> which distribution of unix has it, so I can spin up one such OS?
> >
> > qbe, harec and hare can be found in Alpine Linux's testing community
> > repositories, but it is actually quite easy to set it up on your local
> > systems, the whole process takes less than 5 minutes.
> >
> > For qbe, you "git clone" the source code and run "make", then "make
> > install" as root to install it to your system.
> > For harec and hare the process is practically identical, though I think
> > you may need to also run "./configure" prior to running make with harec
> > at least.
>
> Also note dependencies listed in the respective sites, such as "scdoc" as
> far as I remember. It is not a lot though and is more likely to be in
> your repositories already.

Re: To compile simple Hare program

<ef3539cd-5d80-49d1-9b1b-f3e5f8e71110@regrow.earth>
In-Reply-To
<CAJPeZBMGefAt4R9fVhDqUSrSDkMFGbO0GWtjvLFJ2jDBGq_oGg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
14 May 2022 04:10:35 Milind Patil <mkpatil@gmail.com>:

> I think Hare looks very promising - I have created a Docker image for
> the public to use with all its dependencies. Please feel free to
> play...

I am glad you were successful, thanks for sharing!

Does Hare have a Garbage Collector?

<CAJPeZBNVmKz3VrFhdg7PmPsC7ULpcjk8jDkct+b2-bbCe=rtkw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAJPeZBPqxKFGj34SZUMKWhLHAa+pX7DpA7oUoNQdJaX1eOSFwA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)

1. Does Hare Programming Language have a Garbage Collector?

2. Can this change mid way during upgrades/releases?
Example: Say if it does not have a garbage collector, is it possible
that one of the future releases may have it?
I know no one may be able to answer the second question above, but
generally there are languages that started up no with garbage
collectors and mid way added it when it was easier to do it to help
run time. [say too much memory leak, and suddenly this 'workaround'
was the easiest solution.]

Regards!

Re: Does Hare have a Garbage Collector?

<CK1N95RNJ3G4.24HSD540AW9BL@monch>
In-Reply-To
<CAJPeZBNVmKz3VrFhdg7PmPsC7ULpcjk8jDkct+b2-bbCe=rtkw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
On Tue May 17, 2022 at 12:49 AM UTC, Milind Patil wrote:
> 1. Does Hare Programming Language have a Garbage Collector?

No, though someone hacked something together which you might be
interested in: https://acha.ninja/blog/memory-safeish-hare/

> 2. Can this change mid way during upgrades/releases?

No, this won't change.

Re: Does Hare have a Garbage Collector?

<CAJPeZBPPUA+MUtXG+HFGr=YO93G_=n20+gwK79jrYC3UXErYLA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAJPeZBNVmKz3VrFhdg7PmPsC7ULpcjk8jDkct+b2-bbCe=rtkw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Thanks!!

Re: Does Hare have a Garbage Collector?

<CAJPeZBN-+nNFEk6VndwCE_w3z8_c32E56iGn6XXsnth-94r_Zg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAJPeZBPPUA+MUtXG+HFGr=YO93G_=n20+gwK79jrYC3UXErYLA@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
If Hare is a systems programming language, then of course Garbage
Collector has no role in it. Thanks, yes, please keep it that way...
Loving what I am seeing already! Thanks!

On Tue, May 17, 2022 at 7:00 AM Milind Patil <mkpatil@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks!!
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)