~sircmpwn/hare-users

2 2

bootstrap, build driver (terminology)

<a6d41526-dac7-4190-a914-03cab6a51430@www.fastmail.com>
In the [install instructions](https://harelang.org/installation/), why is `harec` called a "bootstrap compiler"? It's a compiler for Hare written in C, correct? My understanding was that a Hare bootstrap compiler would be a compiler for Hare, written in Hare. Is that incorrect?

Also, the term "build driver" means the `hare` command itself, correct?

-- John
<7493d419-b596-4821-9d70-a0c3b029be70@Lenzplace.org>
In-Reply-To
<a6d41526-dac7-4190-a914-03cab6a51430@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
Bootstrap compilers are written in another language typically as a first step toward a self hosted compiler (per wikipedia).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootstrapping_(compilers)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-hosting_(compilers)

<CJTYOQ93ZV94.2BFIDKS6EX3AP@monch>
On Sun May 8, 2022 at 12:13 AM UTC, John Gabriele wrote:
> In the [install instructions](https://harelang.org/installation/), why is `harec` called a "bootstrap compiler"? It's a compiler for Hare written in C, correct? My understanding was that a Hare bootstrap compiler would be a compiler for Hare, written in Hare. Is that incorrect?

The bootstrap compiler is the compiler used for bootstrapping a Hare
toolchain. What you're thinking of (a Hare compiler written in Hare) is
the /hosted/ compiler, which will eventually be used everywhere but is
currently unfinished. In the mean time, we're using the bootstrap
compiler outside of a bootstrapping context.

> Also, the term "build driver" means the `hare` command itself, correct?

Yes.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)