~sircmpwn/public-inbox

2 2

Re: Initial pre-release of aerc

Details
Message ID
<20190604025544.GA945@begriffs.com>
Sender timestamp
1559616944
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
TLDR; "The world's best email client" is a little premature. It pays to
invest some time learning how mature tools work rather than dismissing
them. http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/

(But also, have fun creating stuff, sounds like a good learning
experience.)

> If you’re coming from mutt,

I am, and I'm not sure you're doing it justice.

> you’ll appreciate its more efficient & reliable networking

Can you elaborate? I fetch IMAP with mbsync into a directory tree in the
maildir format without any glitches.

macro index gR "<shell-escape>mbsync -a<enter>" "sync inbox"

> a keybinding system closer to vims

Do you need to write a mail client from scratch for this? I use a bunch
of "bind" commands in my .muttrc to give it a vim-like feel.

> and embedded terminal emulator allowing you to compose emails and read
> new ones at the same time

Did you know you can run multiple instances of mutt at once in different
terminals? That works for me. Creating a whole embedded terminal system
feels a little heavy and inside-out. Let your terminal multiplexer or
window manager do the work.

> It builds on this foundation with a lot of new and exciting
> features. For example, its “filter” feature allows us to review
> patches with syntax highlighting

Mutt supports syntax highlighting. For instance:

# Patch syntax highlighting
color   body    brightwhite     default         ^(diff).*
color   body    green           default         ^[\+][^\+].*
color   body    red             default         ^[\-][^\-].*
color   body    brightblue      default         ^@@.*
color   body    brightwhite     default         ^(Signed-off-by).*

> The embedded terminal emulator also allows us convenient access to
> nearby git repositories for running tests against incoming patches,
> pushing the changes once accepted, or anything else you might want to
> do.

By default the pipe key (|) sends the body of the current message to a
command. That plus custom bindings for "pipe-command" should get you
what you want.

> Want to run Weechat in an aerc tab?

No. :)

Re: Initial pre-release of aerc

Details
Message ID
<BUKM77EUTU0X.E8KTPTO5VL0H@homura>
In-Reply-To
<20190604025544.GA945@begriffs.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1559617323
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On Mon Jun 3, 2019 at 9:55 PM Joe Nelson wrote:
> TLDR; "The world's best email client" is a little premature. It pays to
> invest some time learning how mature tools work rather than dismissing
> them. http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/

I've used mutt for years. aerc is not as capable as mutt yet but its
design makes it inevitable that it'll surpass mutt. It's only 0.1.0 now.

> (But also, have fun creating stuff, sounds like a good learning
> experience.)

It's not a learning experience, it's a proper project and I don't like
your tone.

> > you’ll appreciate its more efficient & reliable networking
> 
> Can you elaborate? I fetch IMAP with mbsync into a directory tree in the
> maildir format without any glitches.
> 
> macro index gR "<shell-escape>mbsync -a<enter>" "sync inbox"

I'm referring to mutt's native IMAP support here. Also, your suggestion
is a poll based system, which is always going to be less efficient (on
the network and on the user's time) and will get you your emails later
rather than sooner.

> > a keybinding system closer to vims
> 
> Do you need to write a mail client from scratch for this? I use a bunch
> of "bind" commands in my .muttrc to give it a vim-like feel.

No, I don't need to write a mail client from scratch for this. I wrote
it for a whole bunch of other reasons, and if I'm going to write a mail
client from scratch anyway, I ought to do keybindings better than mutt.

> > and embedded terminal emulator allowing you to compose emails and read
> > new ones at the same time
> 
> Did you know you can run multiple instances of mutt at once in different
> terminals? That works for me. Creating a whole embedded terminal system
> feels a little heavy and inside-out. Let your terminal multiplexer or
> window manager do the work.

You describe a workaround which creates an objectively inferior
experience.

> Mutt supports syntax highlighting. For instance:
> 
> # Patch syntax highlighting
> color   body    brightwhite     default         ^(diff).*
> color   body    green           default         ^[\+][^\+].*
> color   body    red             default         ^[\-][^\-].*
> color   body    brightblue      default         ^@@.*
> color   body    brightwhite     default         ^(Signed-off-by).*

I used to use something like this in mutt. This is an egregious hack and
the aerc approach is way better.

> > The embedded terminal emulator also allows us convenient access to
> > nearby git repositories for running tests against incoming patches,
> > pushing the changes once accepted, or anything else you might want to
> > do.
> 
> By default the pipe key (|) sends the body of the current message to a
> command. That plus custom bindings for "pipe-command" should get you
> what you want.

Yes, but again, aerc does it better. aerc does everything better than
mutt. The things that mutt does better are things which haven't been
implemented in aerc in the first place - and I'll remind you that the
version number is <1.0.

Fine, you're in love with mutt. Keep using it. But I could do without
the ridiculous hatemails to my public-inbox. If aerc isn't for you,
fine, no one is making you use it.

Re: Initial pre-release of aerc

Details
Message ID
<20190604031222.GB945@begriffs.com>
In-Reply-To
<BUKM77EUTU0X.E8KTPTO5VL0H@homura> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
1559617942
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
> Fine, you're in love with mutt. Keep using it. But I could do without
> the ridiculous hatemails to my public-inbox. If aerc isn't for you,
> fine, no one is making you use it.

No problem, no problem -- sorry for my email having a sort of "hater"
tone. I guess I wasn't being particularly constructive, other than
pointing out what *appeared* to be your unfamiliarity with mutt, but
turned out to be deliberate and informed choices.
Export thread (mbox)