~sircmpwn/public-inbox

2 2

Re: pkg-go-dev-sucks

ecksun
<20200801215331.GA2242@ecksun.com>
First off, I like the post, its always good to see a nice well-sourced
writeup. I was weary of pkg.go.dev from the start but did not realize
how bad it was.

However I am curoius about what is needed for go's package discovery to
work.

> pkg.go.dev hard-codes a list of centralized git hosting services

I'm guessing this is the list:

https://github.com/golang/pkgsite/blob/9172550538ab87bc4ea1a7c2eaf00f1b546c6210/internal/source/source.go#L432

It feels like a very odd design decision to not make it generic (as you
suggested they do). Does this mean that go package disovery doesn't
technically support git, but only something like git over https?

The last pattern[0] does look like it could support some custom git hosting
services. Then again, I have a hard time understanding what it means
without reading much more. Perhaps you understand it better, do you know
what that pattern entails?

> (2) include Go-specific meta tags in the HTML

What specific meta-tag is that? Could you link to the source/docs that
define it?

[0]: https://github.com/golang/pkgsite/blob/9172550538ab87bc4ea1a7c2eaf00f1b546c6210/internal/source/source.go#L544

Re: pkg-go-dev-sucks

<C4LZT8IGZPCJ.3VEHT1OHC6RBB@homura>
In-Reply-To
<20200801215331.GA2242@ecksun.com> (view parent)
https://github.com/golang/gddo/wiki/Source-Code-Links

This is what godoc.org uses, hence the regression

Re: pkg-go-dev-sucks

ecksun
<20200801220625.GA5166@ecksun.com>
In-Reply-To
<C4LZT8IGZPCJ.3VEHT1OHC6RBB@homura> (view parent)
On Sat, Aug 01, 2020 at 05:54:28PM -0400, Drew DeVault wrote:
> https://github.com/golang/gddo/wiki/Source-Code-Links
>
> This is what godoc.org uses, hence the regression

Ah, I see, thank you :)
Export thread (mbox)