~sircmpwn/public-inbox

2 2

Mutt handling of in-reply-to in mailto links

<20210404000415.tygubciw4hgwcsfa@coruscant>
I have noticed a lot of posts to this and other mailing lists where the
in-reply-to header is set incorrectly causing the thread chains to
become disconnected. I want to share one reason that may be the case
and a solution (for mutt users).

By default, mutt is configured to only allow the Subject and Body
headers to be specified in mailto links [1]. Thus, if a mutt user copies
the mailto link from the "Reply to thread" button on the website, and
runs mutt with the mailto link:

    $ mutt 'mailto:~sircmpwn/public-inbox@lists.sr.ht?cc=Drew%20DeVault%20%3Csir%40cmpwn.com%3E&in-reply-to=%3CCAEDVDIBZ5PX.1YXHCZQG995MC%40taiga%3E&subject=Re%3A%20openring%20license%20clarification'

mutt will ignore the in-reply-to part of the URL causing issues with
thread continuity. (Mutt also ignores the CC field as well, but that is
less of an issue.)

This is not a problem in neomutt because that project includes
in-reply-to in the list of allowed mailto headers [2].

So, for anyone using Mutt, adding the following to your ~/.mutt/muttrc
will make mutt behave like neomutt, which is likely preferable:

    mailto_allow Subject Body Cc In-Reply-To References

Is there anywhere I should document this? Maybe in the man page for
lists.sr.ht?

[1]: http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/#mailto-allow
[2]: https://neomutt.org/guide/configuration.html#31-%C2%A0control-allowed-header-fields-in-a-mailto-url
<CAEI22Z8U9KN.MFJ80TR8JG9K@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<20210404000415.tygubciw4hgwcsfa@coruscant> (view parent)
On Sat Apr 3, 2021 at 8:04 PM EDT, Sumner Evans wrote:
> Is there anywhere I should document this? Maybe in the man page for
> lists.sr.ht?

No. You should report the bug to mutt.
<YHsVyPmXP0eG2A1K@gpanders.com>
In-Reply-To
<CAEI22Z8U9KN.MFJ80TR8JG9K@taiga> (view parent)
FYI this has been addressed in Mutt master:

https://gitlab.com/muttmua/mutt/-/commit/36a704cfb9bf33ea0e76d91b60bca97450861cf3
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)