~sircmpwn/public-inbox

Accessibility versus Inclusive Design

<20220328042534.th7mrp77r3o2sgkp@seirdy.one>
I read your post "Framing accessibility in broader terms":

=> https://drewdevault.com/2022/02/13/Framing-accessibility-in-broader-terms.html

It seems like what you're describing in the post isn't (just)
accessibility, but inclusive design. Accessibility is just one part
(arguably the biggest part) of inclusive design.

The goal of inclusive design is to make things work for as many special
needs (especially underrepresented needs) as possible throughout the
design process, taking into account disability, available hardware,
languages spoken, inclusive language, etc.

=> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclusive_design
=> https://100daysofa11y.com/2019/12/03/accommodation-versus-inclusive-design/

I wonder what you think about my own take on this issue, specifically
regarding textual websites:

=> https://seirdy.one/2020/11/23/website-best-practices.html

Some underrepresented means of reading webpages I covered:

- Screen readers
- Switch access
- Keyboard navigation
- Navigating with hand-tremors
- Content extraction (e.g. "Reader Mode")
- Low-bandwidth connections
- Unreliable/lossy connections
- Hostile networks
- Very narrow viewports (much narrower than a phablet)
- Frequent window-resizers (e.g. users of tiled-window setups)
- Printouts, esp. when paper/ink is rationed (common in schools)
- Textual browsers
- Uncommon graphical browsers
- the Tor Browser (separate from "uncommon browsers" bc of how "safest"
mode is often incompatible with progressive enhancement and graceful
degradation)
- Non-default color palettes
- Aggressive content blocking (e.g. blocking all 3p content, frames,
images, and cookies)
- Non-default fonts, esp. for a11y needs
- Stylesheet removal, alteration, or replacement
- machine translators

I'll eventually incorporate ways to help readers with special cognitive
needs, e.g. dyscalculia.

--
/Seirdy
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)