~sircmpwn/public-inbox

2

Re: The phrase "open source" (still) matters

<412CD195-30B5-4068-A839-0EF9F9034166@gmail.com>
Hi Drew,

Totally agree with this post. I've recently started to query mis-use
of "Open Source" and it's been interesting to see where resistance
is met in regards to using alternative terminology.
From my limited experience, it seems to be most common in funded
start-ups, likely under pressure to not have competition risk in their
business model while existing in areas that great benefit from
using "Open Source" for marketing.

I've begun to record my findings[1] to track and gain insight
into these kinds of cases.

Thanks for the efforts you put into advocating and protecting
Open Source.

Regards,
Dan Brown

[1]: https://github.com/ssddanbrown/Open-Source-Confusers

Re: The phrase "open source" (still) matters

<CN11BLUS76A7.2F1DRID0WTQT0@megumin>
In-Reply-To
<412CD195-30B5-4068-A839-0EF9F9034166@gmail.com> (view parent)
Nice resource :) You might consider putting it on an open source git
host, however.

Re: The phrase "open source" (still) matters

<CN11DL6MSAH9.VZLL1Z2CMTVN@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<412CD195-30B5-4068-A839-0EF9F9034166@gmail.com> (view parent)
Another suggestion: a "hall of fame" for projects which were notified
that their wording is wrong, and corrected their behavior. n8n.io is one
such project.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)