~sircmpwn/public-inbox

3 3

Re: My philosophy for productive instant messaging

<87k0gxc792.fsf@afontaine.ca>
I find the post perfectly captures how best to use IMs, but do have a
few pending questions, mostly from being new to IRC:

My understanding of how IRC works is that you miss everything that is
sent while you are not connected. Can you speak more to a
"recommended" set-up such that if you are not around, you can still
easily find highlights when you go to look?

Is the answer to set up a bouncer? Is simply that your computer always
has a client running? Does your client mark highlights for you to easily
view at your leisure?

You say that we shouldn't worry about "catching up", which makes total
sense, but at the same time, it seems then that if the user is offline,
you're better off emailing them.

Unless all of these examples are in a private message sort of situation,
and you aren't dealing with the noise of a room. I guess that would make
sense, too.

--
Andrew Fontaine
afontaine.dev

Re: My philosophy for productive instant messaging

<CFYPWCXYQGFQ.3UA63JU01G6DA@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<87k0gxc792.fsf@afontaine.ca> (view parent)
On Thu Nov 25, 2021 at 3:02 AM CET, Andrew Fontaine wrote:
> My understanding of how IRC works is that you miss everything that is
> sent while you are not connected. Can you speak more to a
> "recommended" set-up such that if you are not around, you can still
> easily find highlights when you go to look?

On Monday sourcehut is launching chat.sr.ht, which is a hosted IRC
bouncer which will be available to all paid sr.ht users.

Re: My philosophy for productive instant messaging

<878rxc63el.fsf@city17.xyz>
In-Reply-To
<87k0gxc792.fsf@afontaine.ca> (view parent)
> My understanding of how IRC works is that you miss everything that is
> sent while you are not connected. Can you speak more to a
> "recommended" set-up such that if you are not around, you can still
> easily find highlights when you go to look?
>
> Is the answer to set up a bouncer? Is simply that your computer always
> has a client running? Does your client mark highlights for you to easily
> view at your leisure?

Exactly my thoughts, thanks for spelling them out.

In addition to these, I'd add a note about SSL encryption and end-to-end
encryption (or lack thereof), what the expectation should be in
that regard.

We cannot ignore that in $CURRENT_YEAR this is a requirement for some
organizations.

Also, I wouldn't mind a post (perhaps in the future) about the new IRCv3
spec (currently in draft, iirc): what is that, what shortcomings solves.

Best,

Re: My philosophy for productive instant messaging

<CFZ48GBJJU9Q.1A460RRFAQ5X@yacy>
In-Reply-To
<878rxc63el.fsf@city17.xyz> (view parent)
> Exactly my thoughts, thanks for spelling them out.
>
> In addition to these, I'd add a note about SSL encryption and end-to-end
> encryption (or lack thereof), what the expectation should be in
> that regard.

I think that in the absense of end-to-end encryption the rule is pretty
simple: do not discuss sensitive matters on IRC and treat it like it
must be: ephemeral, simple, instant messaging. Any sensitive discussion
must go into a more appropriated format, a mailing list, encrypted email
between parties, encrypted document, video conferencing, mumble meeting,
etc.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)