~sircmpwn/public-inbox

7 3

Adding mu/mu4e to the list of plain text email clients

<87o8u119nz.fsf@adocentyn.io>
Hello,

This may be obvious, but since it's not yet in the list, I'd like to suggest
that mu/mu4e (https://github.com/djcb/mu/tree/master/mu4e) be added to the
list of plaintext-ready email clients on useplaintext.email .
Mu4e is a MUA for Emacs and relies on plain text by default. Optionally,
composing emails is often done through Gnus'message mode.

Hope this helps,
--
Charles-H. Schulz
Moved by Freedom - Powered by Standards
Charles-H. Schulz <chs@adocentyn.io> writes:

> Hello,
>
> This may be obvious, but since it's not yet in the list, I'd like to suggest
> that mu/mu4e (https://github.com/djcb/mu/tree/master/mu4e) be added to the
> list of plaintext-ready email clients on useplaintext.email .
> Mu4e is a MUA for Emacs and relies on plain text by default. Optionally,
> composing emails is often done through Gnus'message mode.
>
> Hope this helps,

mu4e is already on the page here [1]. Are you suggesting that it be
moved to the "Recommended email clients for plaintext users" list? I
love mu4e btw!

[1] https://useplaintext.email/#mu4e

--
David

<6d656992-37b8-46ae-aead-4a2dbd7ae0a5@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<87blq1hsam.fsf@florness.com> (view parent)
Hello,

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020, at 20:39, David Florness wrote:
> Charles-H. Schulz <chs@adocentyn.io> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > This may be obvious, but since it's not yet in the list, I'd like to suggest
> > that mu/mu4e (https://github.com/djcb/mu/tree/master/mu4e) be added to the
> > list of plaintext-ready email clients on useplaintext.email .
> > Mu4e is a MUA for Emacs and relies on plain text by default. Optionally,
> > composing emails is often done through Gnus'message mode.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
>
> mu4e is already on the page here [1]. Are you suggesting that it be
> moved to the "Recommended email clients for plaintext users" list? I
> love mu4e btw!

Yes absolutely.

Best,
Charles.
<C0MWQ4LJDFXI.SL03TK4LP6BU@homura>
In-Reply-To
<87blq1hsam.fsf@florness.com> (view parent)
The issue which was preventing mu4e from being added to the list of
recommended clients was that it doesn't do the right thing _by default_.
If I recall correctly, a configuration option is needed to configure
text wrapping.
<871rqva453.fsf@adocentyn.io>
In-Reply-To
<C0MWQ4LJDFXI.SL03TK4LP6BU@homura> (view parent)
Hello Drew,

Drew DeVault @ 2020-02-15 18:18 CET:

> The issue which was preventing mu4e from being added to the list of
> recommended clients was that it doesn't do the right thing _by default_.
> If I recall correctly, a configuration option is needed to configure
> text wrapping.

Are you referring to the format-flowed behaviour as explained here[1]?
If that's the case I think we're still in the realm of pure plain text
emails.

[1] See section 16:  https://www.djcbsoftware.nl/code/mu/mu4e/Writing-messages.html#Writing-messages

All the best,

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Moved by Freedom - Powered by Standards
http://www.standardsandfreedom.net
<C0N36C0N2YND.3A2UV0ABPV8SP@homura>
In-Reply-To
<871rqva453.fsf@adocentyn.io> (view parent)
No, I'm talking about hard-wrapping lines. As I understand, something
along the following lines is required:

(add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'auto-fill-mode)
<819f40d8-5e4f-4fd1-bc50-8b3db1e2d47e@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<C0N36C0N2YND.3A2UV0ABPV8SP@homura> (view parent)
On Sat, Feb 15, 2020, at 23:21, Drew DeVault wrote:
> No, I'm talking about hard-wrapping lines. As I understand, something
> along the following lines is required:
>
> (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'auto-fill-mode)

I'm still not sure why that disqualifies mu4e to be listed among the site's recommendations. As I understand it "your mileage may vary" in this particular case and is easily fixable: https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/aakmz4/line_breaks_in_emails_mu4e/

All the best,

Charles.
<C0N3NYQRC1AD.22TMPS66WDMD3@homura>
In-Reply-To
<819f40d8-5e4f-4fd1-bc50-8b3db1e2d47e@www.fastmail.com> (view parent)
The recommended clients are only ones that follow the best practices and
recommendations *by default*.