~sircmpwn/public-inbox

5 3

What are the best practices when formating plain-text emails?

<C2XC0CGM2CGP.JIHVN7PX06WW@melanie.cipherhost.computer>

I was writing a big email to a friend, and reading the financial reports from
SourceHut, when it occurred to me that there does not seem to be a best
practices document for how to format emails in plain-text, so even the
financial reports are a little incosistent - Drew uses spaces to display titles
at times, and ## in others, for example.

So my question is, since there is a document for the proper mailing list
etiquette, is there one for formating of plain-text emails somewhere? If there
is not, could we come up with best practices, and then add them to
useplaintext.email?

I would send a patch, but I figured it is best to decide on what these best
practices are before doing so. What is right for me, who just started using
plain-text emails, is probably not right for the community as a whole.

This is my first email to the mailing list, so I apologize in advance if I made
a mistake somewhere.

—
Warmly,

James Pond
Linux & Happiness Engineer
<C2XCC2K7ZYH2.1UDWOP8VEIOHU@homura>
In-Reply-To
<C2XC0CGM2CGP.JIHVN7PX06WW@melanie.cipherhost.computer> (view parent)
Wrap to 72 characters, link stuff like this[0], quote things

> like this

And otherwise, so long as it's readable and communiciative, use
/whatever/ other *little* details that you think _emphasize_ or clarify
your point.

[0]: https://example.org
<c44e49d0-374a-43e7-82a2-108befc2669b@www.fastmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<C2XCC2K7ZYH2.1UDWOP8VEIOHU@homura> (view parent)
Simple enough of an explanation. I like it.
<C2XCGHB9NE2L.1EZBDWAE9SVW2@melanie.cipherhost.computer>
In-Reply-To
<C2XCC2K7ZYH2.1UDWOP8VEIOHU@homura> (view parent)
Hi, Drew,

Thank you for replying so fast!

> Wrap to 72 characters, link stuff like this[0], quote things
>
> > like this

That is how I make comments on Hacker News, for example, and format text files
in general, so I guess this is generaly agreed upon.

> So long as it's readable and communiciative, use /whatever/ other *little*
> details that you think _emphasize_ or clarify your point.

Would you accept a patch to useplaintext.email about this? Maybe a little mix
of markdown syntax, with what is already agreed upon.

# H1
## H2
### H3

- List
* List

And so on. It is silly, but sometimes consistency helps, I guess.

—
Warmly,

James Pond
Linux & Happiness Engineer
<C2XCNPEI1GF3.RZPDEKBKFJMQ@homura>
In-Reply-To
<C2XCGHB9NE2L.1EZBDWAE9SVW2@melanie.cipherhost.computer> (view parent)
Nah, I don't think it's necessary. The goal is to communicate
effectively, not to make everyone write the same way. Plain text is just
that: plain.
<C2XCOKW8N1D9.14HZ0R8JFKH65@melanie.cipherhost.computer>
In-Reply-To
<C2XCNPEI1GF3.RZPDEKBKFJMQ@homura> (view parent)
Got it :)

Thank you for your time, and have a great weekend!

—
Warmly,

James Pond
Linux & Happiness Engineer