This is a reminder to write about the history behind sr.ht project as suggested on #sr.ht IRC channel
First, there was MediaCrush. https://github.com/mediacrush/mediacrush It failed, was expensive to run and showed no signs of turning a profit so we shut it off. I switched to pomf.se for my personal needs. Then pomf.se was shut down... I liked the pomf.se UI so I cloned it. I was sick of file hosting websites going under when faced with the load of an internet full of people who wanted to use their services for free. I still needed a place to host my files, though, so I made something for myself and made it invite-only, then let only a couple hundred users in. Therefore costs stayed low, I wouldn't be contributing to link rot, and I would always have a place to host my files. https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/legacy.sr.ht I picked up the sr.ht domain on a whim because I saw that it was short and available. I used it for a dumb little URL shortener for a while... but this seemed like a better use for it. This is still actually running, but it's hidden and its account system is disconnected from the rest of sr.ht. I don't intend to let any new users into this. Eventually, a tiny community started growing around the site. To service this community I started adding little hosted services for them, including a gogs server.  https://github.com/gogs/gogs Around the same time I was getting annoyed with other forges not offering all of the features I want, being closed source, etc. I had always said I would implement my own CI at some point, too. So I started working on sr.ht v2, which is the sr.ht you know today, around 2 years ago. Now you know!