~sircmpwn/public-inbox

5 4

Re: Gmail is a huge source of spam

<CAG+K25OaxG22A3tbJkjMxDDJoiPKZ_TKG60--BxTcp8OKUVwXw@mail.gmail.com>
the $subject article (and my mail domain, guilty as charged)
prompted me to ask: do you have any "favourite" or recommended
tutorial/best practices list/setup script etc. on how to setup
postfix and whatever else is needed for personal mail server?

I have my own domain pointed to a VPS, and have toyed with the idea of
deploying mail server there, but I never did; and honestly,
as a self-taught sysadmin, I'm a bit nervous doing that 😅.
So, any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
--
Jan Staněk – Khardix

Re: Gmail is a huge source of spam

<C9IVJKUNOC7W.5HO2VXED3UV5@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<CAG+K25OaxG22A3tbJkjMxDDJoiPKZ_TKG60--BxTcp8OKUVwXw@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
I might write a post about this later.

Re: Gmail is a huge source of spam

<CAG+K25MerDDJ9kXVCtKTpQm=SaEYq0jzio=0aPP8tbYGyR63Bg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<C9IVJKUNOC7W.5HO2VXED3UV5@taiga> (view parent)
Thanks, looking forward to it 🙂.
--
Jan Staněk – Khardix

Re: Gmail is a huge source of spam

Kévin Le Gouguec <kevin.legouguec@gmail.com>
<87y2fban2w.fsf@gmail.com>
Jan “Khardix” Staněk <khardix@gmail.com> writes:

> the $subject article (and my mail domain, guilty as charged)
> prompted me to ask: do you have any "favourite" or recommended
> tutorial/best practices list/setup script etc. on how to setup
> postfix and whatever else is needed for personal mail server?

Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote a pretty extensive guide on the subject a year
ago:

https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2020/03/25/so-you-want-to-run-your-own-mail-server/

(And a pretty extensive automated setup script to boot.)

> I have my own domain pointed to a VPS, and have toyed with the idea of
> deploying mail server there, but I never did; and honestly,
> as a self-taught sysadmin, I'm a bit nervous doing that 😅.
> So, any pointers would be appreciated.

FWIW, I've played with sending emails from my own VPS; after spending
*rummages through notes*
6½ hours spread over 4 evenings jumping through a bunch of hoops, the
experiment was a mixed success: mail-tester.com gave my mails perfect
scores, but both my @gmail.com and my @outlook.com inboxes kept flagging
them as spam 🤷

It's been fun learning about all the plumbing; when I decide to migrate
for good though, I'll probably subscribe to a professional service for
better reliability.  Ars longa, vita brevis; off-hours even more so.

YMMV, obviously!

Re: Gmail is a huge source of spam

<CAG+K25PFwYkmG01e+MS=uF4v-W+wDNs8w_LZihxta7Jf5JrgTA@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<87y2fban2w.fsf@gmail.com> (view parent)
Kévin Le Gouguec <kevin.legouguec@gmail.com> writes:
> Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote a pretty extensive guide on the subject a year
> ago:
>
> https://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2020/03/25/so-you-want-to-run-your-own-mail-server/

Thanks, I will check it out.

> (And a pretty extensive automated setup script to boot.)

That is usually something I want to avoid.
I get that it is intended to save time, but when I do something,
I like knowing why I'm doing something
(which has the added benefit of usually knowing where to look
when things go haywire).
I will go poking in it though, if only to get an inspiration.

> FWIW, I've played with sending emails from my own VPS; after spending
> *rummages through notes*
> 6½ hours spread over 4 evenings jumping through a bunch of hoops, the
> experiment was a mixed success: mail-tester.com gave my mails perfect
> scores, but both my @gmail.com and my @outlook.com inboxes kept flagging
> them as spam 🤷

Well, 6½ hours is not too bad – I shudder to think how much time
I spent toying with various configuration files on any of my machines 😁
Good to know about mail-tester.com though,
a service like that will definitely handy as a baseline.

Thanks for all the links!
--
Jan Staněk – Khardix

Re: Gmail is a huge source of spam

<C9L4X9UHHCQ3.392074QOVAOL6@senex>
In-Reply-To
<C9IVJKUNOC7W.5HO2VXED3UV5@taiga> (view parent)
Is there any advantage of using postfix (send only) if you have access
to an smtp server?
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)