~sircmpwn/public-inbox

2 2

Re: Signal and crypto

<CAIBTPSHF2OA.35F88PW9DG4W3@bellwether>
Signal has finally pushed their updated server source code to GitHub
[1], after a *whole year* of no updates, which made me think:

What if we fork Signal's older source code and repurpose it into a
separate federated system? Up until now, the app has been relatively
light in functionality, with the most "bloat" feature probably being
Stickers or Reactions, so I'd argue it's a relatively good starting
point.

And even if Moxie is known to be hostile towards third-party
clients and implementations, who cares? We could leave Signal alone.

Does that seem feasible, or even possible? I have no experience or
knowledge in server and app development, so I'd love to know whether the
community at large is missing out on something big.

Re: Signal and crypto

<CAIBV909WW7Y.2F7OTT1A4CKDJ@bellwether>
In-Reply-To
<CAIBTPSHF2OA.35F88PW9DG4W3@bellwether> (view parent)
Whoops, forgot to add link to repo.

[1] https://github.com/signalapp/Signal-Server

Re: Signal and crypto

jman
<87o8eonbbi.fsf@nyarlathotep>
Sol Fisher Romanoff <sol@solfisher.com> writes:

> What if we fork Signal's older source code and repurpose it into a
> separate federated system? Up until now, the app has been relatively
> light in functionality, with the most "bloat" feature probably being
> Stickers or Reactions, so I'd argue it's a relatively good starting
> point.

Definitively won't happen.

There was already a fork (LibreSignal) but Signal's official position
was "ok to federation but not on my servers" (see here[0] and
here[1]). That was in 2016, not sure if Signal server codebase in 2021
still supports federation.

Forking is easy. Pulling up (and mantaining) the infra to keep the lights
on, not so much. Creating the network effect to actually attract
people to a forked implementation, even more difficult.

[0] https://github.com/LibreSignal/LibreSignal/issues/43#issuecomment-255627299
[1] https://github.com/LibreSignal/LibreSignal/issues/37#issuecomment-217211165
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)