~sircmpwn/public-inbox

1 2

Re: Rust is not a good C replacement

<b040f37c-7a41-32d0-4cbf-2992e41f4f0a@interia.pl>
Sender timestamp
Thanks for this article. I mostly agree with its points,
and I definitely agree that Rust is not a good language
for most of the usecases of C.

A few remarks though:

> Idiomatic C++ looks nothing like idiomatic C

Depends which C++ you mean. I think the idioms of C++ have changed
multiple times, and even the libstdc++ isn't idiomatic C++.

I've seen a lot of code written in C++ which looks more like C with
classes than idiomatic C++, for example in game engines. And I guess
the C/C++ term comes from the times when that style was idiomatic.

> You have to compile and link everything all in one go on the same
> version of the Rust compiler

Isn't this also true in case of Go?

Btw. do you think Rust is a good language for writing web browsers
(assuming writing a web browser is unavoidable) ?

Re: Rust is not a good C replacement

<20190325145035.GB1586@homura.localdomain>
In-Reply-To
<b040f37c-7a41-32d0-4cbf-2992e41f4f0a@interia.pl> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
On 2019-03-25  3:45 PM, Wolf480pl wrote:
> > You have to compile and link everything all in one go on the same
> > version of the Rust compiler
>
> Isn't this also true in case of Go?

Yes. Go isn't flawless, either. But Rust has *all* of these problems,
and Go has *some* (or one?) of these problems.

> Btw. do you think Rust is a good language for writing web browsers
> (assuming writing a web browser is unavoidable) ?

I don't know.