~sircmpwn/public-inbox

2 2

Re: video game open source

io mintz
<ebdc73ec-95e8-3d6b-268e-a28c2b4a2f29@mintz.cc>
There's one big strategy you missed: time-delay open source. Using the
Business Source License, for example, developers can release their work,
say, under a non-commercial license for a fixed time, after which the
work switches to a more permissive license.

~io mintz

Re: video game open source

<e61553b2-2ec9-4d13-500e-652e57999c96@mailbox.org>
In-Reply-To
<ebdc73ec-95e8-3d6b-268e-a28c2b4a2f29@mintz.cc> (view parent)
Ended up on this thread somehow.

Found your suggestion interesting, so how does the whole licensing
works? Can I release the game closed source, then after a time open it
with Business Source License like you mentioned and later to much more
open license?

--
Saurabh S

Re: video game open source

<CBZ5JAVKBEC7.1Q1ISBR93H01G@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<e61553b2-2ec9-4d13-500e-652e57999c96@mailbox.org> (view parent)
On Wed Jun 9, 2021 at 9:55 AM EDT, Saurabh S wrote:
> Found your suggestion interesting, so how does the whole licensing
> works? Can I release the game closed source, then after a time open it
> with Business Source License like you mentioned and later to much more
> open license?

Yes, the BSL does this for you automatically. I recommend it for this
purpose if this time-delay release suits your needs.
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)