What's cooking on Sourcehut? May 2019

<20190515160338.GA6166@homura.localdomain>
Another month of Sourcehut development passes! I've got some really cool
news to share today. And a big welcome to our 240 new users, who bring
our total up to 8,560. Thanks again to everyone for supporting Sourcehut
during the alpha! I'd like to briefly remind you that Sourcehut depends
on your financial support to thrive - please consider purchasing a
subscription if you haven't yet: https://meta.sr.ht/billing. We just
released our Q1 financial report, which breaks down our income today and
explains where your subscription fee ends up:

https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/sr.ht-discuss/%3C20190426160729.GC1351@homura.localdomain%3E

Please let me know if you have any questions. Now to the development
news!

	lists.sr.ht

Let's start with lists.sr.ht, because I have some exciting news: the
initial version of web-based code review is now available! Check out an
example here:

https://lists.sr.ht/~philmd/qemu/patches/5556

This is generated from a normal patch review, with no additional human
input. You just respond to patch emails like you always have, and
lists.sr.ht automatically applies heuristics to incoming emails to
generate a web view of that discussion. In the future, I intend to
expand on this with support for *authoring* reviews on the web, as well
as expanding git.sr.ht to support sending patchsets from the web.

	git.sr.ht, hg.sr.ht

git.sr.ht and hg.sr.ht both now have an API! Here's the API reference:

https://man.sr.ht/git.sr.ht/api.md

Docs for the hg.sr.ht API are pending a design for how to expose
hg.sr.ht internals over the API, but is compatible with the git.sr.ht
API for any API method not dealing with git internals.

They also support webhooks - and there's a pretty neat feature that
comes with. When you configure a post-update webhook (equivalent to
git's own post-update hook), you have the option of making it
synchronous - this will submit the HTTP request during git push, and
will print the response body to the console of the person executing git
push. This can be used for custom integrations which behave like
git.sr.ht does when submitting builds.sr.ht jobs, printing the URLs of
the jobs which started as a consequence of your git push.

hg.sr.ht has also grown support for the Mercurial evolve plugin this
month - thanks to Ludovic again for working on that! You can enable this
support on your repo's settings, under the "features" tab. Ludovic and I
will be attending an Mercurial conference in Paris in 2 weeks, where we
hope to discuss this and more features for hg.sr.ht in the future.

	todo.sr.ht

You can now submit tickets and participate in discussions on todo.sr.ht
by sending an email to the tracker you want to work with. For example,
to file a bug for todo.sr.ht, you can email it to
~sircmpwn/todo.sr.ht@todo.sr.ht.

You can also do things like closing tickets via email - docs here:

https://man.sr.ht/todo.sr.ht/#email-access

I've also started working on an API for todo.sr.ht. It's fairly complete
now, but I still haven't written the docs. Stay tuned!

	builds.sr.ht

I'm happy to announce that OpenBSD is now supported on builds.sr.ht!

https://man.sr.ht/builds.sr.ht/compatibility.md#openbsd

Major thanks to Jarkko Oranen for putting in the work to realize this
feature. Timothée Floure has also made some improvements to Fedora
support, and Francesco Gazzetta added NixOS 19.03. Thanks to Andres
Erbsen as well, who fixed a bug with git submodules which have been
updated outside of the default branch. My friend minus has also helped
me set up an experimental caching proxy for Alpine Linux packages, which
shaves a few seconds off of every Alpine Linux job. I'd like to expand
this to other distros and things like npm and pypi as well.

	meta.sr.ht

Our friends at Gitlab were recently in the news, as several of their
users had their repositories overwritten with a ransom notice. The cause
of this was users with weak passwords. I'd like to briefly share how
Sourcehut is not affected by the same problem, and explain improvements
I made to the service anyway.

First, I take a backup of git.sr.ht every 5 minutes. I can restore the
state of your repository as it appeared at any point in time in the
event that your account is compromised. Additionally, login attempts to
sr.ht are throttled and monitored for suspicious activity, and I get an
alarm when someone is making a lot of login requests, which quickly
leads to an IP block and an investigation of any successful logins.

Even so, I've taken this opportunity to improve Sourcehut to prevent
this, by enforcing strong password requirements when you sign up and
when you reset your password. No, I don't accomplish this with silly
requirements for multiple numbers and letters and symbols and such -
instead, I use Dropbox's zxcvbn library to estimate the entropy of your
password and require a minimum inherit complexity. In the case where
your password isn't strong enough, you'll be shown a message like this:

	This password is too weak - it could be cracked in less than 5
	minutes if our database were broken into. Try using a few words
	instead of random letters and symbols. A password manager[0] is
	strongly recommended.

[0] https://passwordstore.org

I haven't enforced these requirements retroactively, so if you're
concerned about your account you should reset your password here:

https://meta.sr.ht/security

You can also review your audit log on this page to check for any
suspicious activity on your account. Shoot me an email if you have any
concerns.

	paste.sr.ht

Thanks to Mykyta Holubakha, you now have the option to set the
visibility of your pastes on paste.sr.ht. The "public" and "unlisted"
options are presently indistinguishable, though, because there's no
public profile page for listing someone else's pastes at yet. Hopefully
we'll see that soon!