~sircmpwn/sr.ht-announce

What's cooking on Sourcehut? August 2019

<BW9TUU0EIZB4.9KPE23YQPQDZ@koishi>
Thank you for continuing to support Sourcehut during the alpha period! I
have loads of exiting developments to share with you today. Let's
welcome our newest 369 users to the platform, which now totals 9,711 in
number.

	builds.sr.ht

I'm happy to announce lots of cool features for builds.sr.ht this month.
First, the VMs for failed builds are now being kept alive for 10 minutes
after the completion of your build, and you can SSH into them to examine
the failure more closely (if you do so, the 10 minute deadline is
extended to the original time limit for your build). You can also SSH
into build jobs just if you'd find it useful. Need an OpenBSD shell to
try something out?

	image: openbsd/latest
	shell: true

Paste that into builds.sr.ht/submit and you'll get your SSH connection
details a few moments later. You can also still add all of your tasks,
packages, repos, and such; perhaps cloning your dotfiles repo and
installing your favorite text editor.

SSH access is still in its early stages, but development is well
underway on features like submitting build manifests over SSH, e.g.

ssh builds@builds.sr.ht submit < .build.yml

as well as tail -f'ing build logs in your terminal.

Additionally, I have progress to announce on experimental multi-arch
support. arm64 is now available for Debian images, and is being kept
up-to-date with automated builds. I've also made progress on ppc64el
support using a similar approach. Currently this is done with software
emulation via qemu, but in the next couple of months, I expect to have
ppc64le hardware builds available.

Additionally, ubuntu/latest now points to Ubuntu Disco and
freebsd/latest to FreeBSD 11.3, following their respective upstream
releases.

	man.sr.ht

Thanks to the hard work of Ryan Chan and after a complex migration
process, a major update to man.sr.ht has been deployed. No longer are
the backing git repos stored with man.sr.ht itself - they've now been
transferred to git.sr.ht repositories and man.sr.ht uses webhooks and
the git.sr.ht API to fetch content from them. This means you can now
browse your wikis on git.sr.ht using the fully featured git repository
browsing interface, but you can also put your wikis directly into the
git repos they document under a "wiki" branch or something similar.
Thanks to Ryan for all your hard work!

	git.sr.ht

A problem which has plagued git.sr.ht for some time now is slow
performance on git operations over SSH. Though there's still many
improvements to be made, I spent some time this month whetting down the
bottlenecks and, as a result, git pull is 5x faster and git push is 2x
faster. Thanks to Preston Carpenter for helping to identify some of the
bottlenecks! The remaining bottlenecks are well-understood and I expect
to make further improvements soon. Anyone interested in helping on this
should reach out on IRC - there's a lot of cool stuff involved.

Additionally, following the announcement of code annotations for
git.sr.ht, several projects have grown which add support for their
favorite programming languages:

POSIX shell:    https://git.sr.ht/~emersion/annotatesh
Python:         https://git.sr.ht/~ihabunek/annotatepy
Rust:           https://git.sr.ht/~wezm/annotate-rust

If you're working on one yourself, please let me know!

	lists.sr.ht

Because Sourcehut requires the use of plaintext email, many email
clients will run into this limitation quickly with their default
configuration. Previously, you'd get a very user-unfriendly bounce
message from postfix which doesn't give you much help towards fixing
this problem. Instead, the bounces are now sent from lists.sr.ht itself
and replace the mail server diagnostic info with a friendlier
description of the problem and resources to address it - namely, this
website:

https://useplaintext.email

Other error messages which can be returned by lists.sr.ht have received
similar treatment.

	Interesting projects using Sourcehut

The mutt email client is experimenting with a sr.ht git mirror and
mailing list, as well as builds.sr.ht CI: http://mutt.org/

Gio is an immediate mode GUI toolkit for Golang: https://gioui.org

Thanks for using Sourcehut, guys! Be sure to let me know about your new
projects as well - post them to the sr.ht-discuss list.