~sircmpwn/sr.ht-announce

What's cooking on Sourcehut? September 2019

<BX0RTYSJ49AR.2XP6SXACF524Y@homura>
Another month of progress in the Sourcehut alpha! This month, we reached
the big 10,000 user mark, and kept going: at the time of writing, there
are 10,649 users. To the 938 of you who've joined us since the August
update, welcome! I'm sure many of you have joined us after abandoning
the sinking Bitbucket ship[0], and if so I hope you've found Sourcehut
to your liking. If you have any questions or feedback, just reply to
this email. And, a special thanks to the 1,093 users who have paid for
their alpha accounts, which for the first time represents more than 10%
of all registered users.

[0]: https://sourcehut.org/blog/2019-08-15-whats-cooking-on-sourcehut-august-2019/

## General news

First, I've redesigned sourcehut.org to be a little bit more attractive
and lend an air of professionalism to Sourcehut. I've also added to it a
blog, which has a greater scope than sr.ht-announce. I will be
cross-posting these monthly "what's cooking" updates there as well, for
anyone who prefers to read them on the web or keep updated via RSS.
Though the design of sourcehut.org is a bit more flamboyant than sr.ht
in general, I've made a few conservative improvements to the layout of
sr.ht pages, notably centering everything and bumping the base font size
up to the system default.

I would also like to thank Denis Laxalde for his hard work lately,
thanks to which we're starting to see a Debian repository come into
being for sysadmins who want to run Sourcehut on Debian hosts. I hope
we'll see that finished up soon!

## lists.sr.ht

No notable developments this month, but there has been some planning I'd
like to share with you. I've been working this week on improvements to
libgit2[0] and pygit2[1] with the aim of improving integration between
lists.sr.ht and git.sr.ht (and later hg.sr.ht, but that's a more
difficult problem for technical reasons). To address goals like
continuous integration for patches sent to the mailing list, expanding
the diff context beyond what's included in the patch, and a little blue
"submit" button to apply patches from the web, I basically intend to
create a libgit2 backend which allows you to create a `Repository`
object which, instead of being backed by a git repo on disk, is backed
by the git.sr.ht API.

[0]: https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2
[1]: https://github.com/libgit2/pygit2

I also intend to add a similar backend for Github and Gitlab, if
possible, and let you use lists.sr.ht to track patches against projects
which aren't hosted on Sourcehut. There'll probably be lots of use-cases
for this that I haven't thought of! One interesting thing you'd be able
to do with this is have a working git repository on your local machine
which doesn't have a .git directory, but instead does all of its
operations remotely against a git.sr.ht repository - albeit very slowly.
I'm not sure why you'd ever want to do this. Interesting nonetheless!

## todo.sr.ht

Some minor bug fixes and improvements landed this month, but the most
interesting addition is that of participating via email *without* an
account.  You can now send an email to the tracker or to a ticket to
submit or comment on tickets without a Sourcehut account. If you are the
operator of a bug tracker on the service, you can configure the
permissions for such users by changing the "anonymous" permissions on
your tracker. In the near(ish) future, I also plan on extending ACLs so
you can give individuals more or less permission by email, which will
make non-account holders first-class citizens on todo.sr.ht, more or
less.

## builds.sr.ht

I wrote a blog post[0] about how builds.sr.ht is being used by lots of
software to improve their BSD support, give it a read if you're
interested. On a related note, I've received some offers for aid in
finishing our NetBSD image, so hopefully we'll see support for that
soon.

[0]: https://sourcehut.org/blog/2019-09-12-sourcehut-makes-bsd-software-better/

## git.sr.ht

Arch Linux developer Eli Schwartz has put some effort into making
busybox's gzip output deterministic and matching GNU's gzip, which makes
our source tarball downloads from git.sr.ht consistently hash with
ourselves and with other git hosts. Thanks Eli!

## man.sr.ht

I redesigned it, now it doesn't look like crap. Hooray! As part of this
work, you can now explicitly enable or disable the generation of a table
of contents for any page by updating its frontmatter:

https://man.sr.ht/man.sr.ht/#frontmatter