~sircmpwn/sr.ht-announce

What's cooking on Sourcehut? October 2019

<BXQ9NRN2P7Q1.2FRGSA9VNT7FC@homura>
I'm more excited to give today's status update than any other so far. To
get the necssary bits out of the way: this month, 368 users have joined
the community, bringing our total to 10,539. Welcome!

## General news: Simon Ser joins us

I'm very excited to announce that Simon Ser will be joining Sourcehut.
His role will be interesting, and representative of my vision for
Sourcehut in the long-term. Simon's responsibilities are to simply
continue working on self-directed free software projects. I chose to
work with him because he's already a talented generalist and motivated
member of the free software community. He's written more about his
specific plans in his own blog post[0], but with our support he'll be
working on projects like mrsh[1], Wayland[2], and the maintenance of
large swaths of Golang's email landscape[3].

[0]: https://emersion.fr/blog/2019/working-full-time-on-open-source/
[1]: https://mrsh.sh
[2]: https://wayland.emersion.fr
[3]: https://github.com/emersion?utf8=%E2%9C%93&tab=repositories&q=&type=&language=go

Some of Simon's work directly benefits Sourcehut, but the goal of
sponsoring his work is to help populate the open source ecosystem as a
whole with motivated, financially stable developers with the freedom to
work at their own direction. If you've been following the financial
reports, this kind of work is what I plan on spending Sourcehut's
profits on: directly elevating the free and open source software
community.

Additionally, thanks to Denis Laxalde's help, Sourcehut packages are now
available for Debian from our new Debian repository[0]. Thanks Denis!

[0]: https://man.sr.ht/packages.md#debian

## git.sr.ht: web-based patchsets

Many of you recall one of the original promises of Sourcehut: web-driven
tooling built on top of an email-driven workflow. This is part of the
third broad phase of Sourcehut development. These three phases are: (1)
build a bunch of self-contained tools which represent the primitives of
a development system; (2) extend them with comprehensive APIs and
webhooks; (3) teach them to talk to each other. This design takes longer
to bear fruit, but the result is worth it.  However, our wait is
starting to come to a close: this week, I implemented patchset
preparation on the web. Here's a video demo:

https://sr.ht/_fUk.webm

This is now live on git.sr.ht! Please give it a shot and let me know
your thoughts. Progress is being made on the other end of this workflow
as well - see the lists.sr.ht updates later on. In other git.sr.ht news,
some long-requested features like release blobs and git-lfs are showing
signs of life. This month, a shiny new 64TB NAS was provisioned and
installed in our datacenter, and will be the backbone upon which many of
these features are implemented.

## lists.sr.ht

I have been working on lists.sr.ht indirectly recently, in the form of
improvements to libgit2[0] and pygit2[1] upstream. The idea is to expose
libgit2's pluggable backends to pygit2, so that I can create a
`pygit2.Repository` which is backed by git.sr.ht via the git.sr.ht API.

[0]: https://github.com/libgit2/libgit2/pulls/ddevault
[1]: https://github.com/libgit2/pygit2/pulls?q=is%3Apr+author%3Addevault+is%3Aclosed

## builds.sr.ht

NetBSD folks have been helping me work through the issues, but it's slow
going.  If anyone wants to have a go at it, download this image0] and
see if you can't figure out how to make it expand the partitions and
filesystem to fill available space on first boot. It's generated with
these scripts[1] on a NetBSD host.

[0]: https://yukari.sr.ht/netbsd.qcow2.xz
[1]: https://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/builds.sr.ht/tree/master/images/netbsd

That same NAS I mentioned in the git.sr.ht update, by the way, is going
to be used for build artifacts soon, and likely for build caches as
well, which will speed up many classes of builds. Additionally, a POWER9
server has been provisioned and installed in the DC, which I'm preparing
to eventually become a ppc64le builder. I'm looking forward to seeing
both in action!

## paste.sr.ht

paste.sr.ht received some polish this month thanks to the hard work of
Mykyta Holubakha. A public index of your pastes, access controls, and
soon paste deletion are all being added to the platform.

## names.sr.ht

https://sr.ht/_yhw.png