~sircmpwn/sr.ht-announce

What's cooking on Sourcehut? December 2019

<BZ646EWTB9RH.39ODUSCOFQ0CD@homura>
This is our last "what's cooking" of 2019! We're seeing out the year
with 11,927 registered users, 563 stronger than November. Please give
our new members a warm welcome! We have some cool progress on many
fronts this month.

## General News

First of all, we finally got single-sign-on sorted out this month. Now,
logging in once will log you in everywhere. Many other problems which
stemmed from this have also been fixed - long time users will no doubt
have seen the "log out and back in to enable builds.sr.ht integration"
message on a git push, but thankfully that annoyance will be unknown to
new users going forward. This was also a pre-requisite for dealing with
user groups, which will be the next main focus of account management
work.

I've also been experimenting with Ceph and preparing to provision our
new Ceph cluster, which will give us three things: (1) object storage,
(2) filesystem storage, and (3) block device storage. Each of these
separately unblocks a number of features. (1) gives us things like
attaching binaries to tags or publishing build artifacts from
builds.sr.ht jobs, (2) gives us things like a GitHub-pages-style
feature, and (3) can be leveraged for build caches. Ceph is complicated
and I want this deployment to be sustainable indefinitely, so I'm going
to take my time to provision it carefully and understand every piece -
so please have patience while I get this set up.

## git.sr.ht

The first series of performance improvements to git.sr.ht landed this
month, and I wrote an article[0] which goes into a great deal of detail
for the curious. The next step is to improve the I/O throughput of the
server, which can only be done with revprovisioning. Unfortunately, the
hardware to do this has been a real pain in the ass to obtain -
SuperMicro has been having issues with their fulfillment pipeline
recently and I'm struggling to complete the build. We may be in for a
bit of a wait while I try to get the parts together. If I don't have
this squared away by January, I'm going to redesign the server with
different parts.  I already have half of the parts, and I'd rather they
don't go to waste, so I'm going to spend a little more time trying to
get this system built per the original specification.

[0]: https://sourcehut.org/blog/2019-11-22-what-happens-on-git-push/

## lists.sr.ht

You can now grant a new access control privilege to users: "moderate".
This allows users to update patchset status and remove emails from the
archives.

## builds.sr.ht

Minor maintenance updates:

- Debian packages are now available.
- Fedora 31 is now available.
- FreeBSD 12.1 is now available.
- NixOS 19.09 is now available.
- OpenBSD 6.6 is now available.

## names.sr.ht

Wow, this is complicated. I think having an open-source implementation
of all of these rules will be a boon to the ecosystem, though. Despite
the complexity, I still have a reasonably complete image of what the
system should look like in my head, and we're slowly progressing towards
realizing it. Here's another screenshot to tease you in the meanwhile:

https://sr.ht/LLkW.png