~sircmpwn/sr.ht-announce

2

What's cooking on SourceHut? March 2020

<C1CDAHR1LR8U.2M8VXIIFGFC71@homura>
Hello! This has been a very busy month for SourceHut. Thank you for
supporting it during the alpha! Today our users are 13,195 in number,
with 438 new users joining us since our last status update. Please give
them a warm welcome!

## General News

I've spent a lot of time this month working on a bunch of
operations-related tasks, such as monitoring and backups improvements.
Our backup system is now triple-redundant and kept in check by three
separate monitoring systems. You'll see some of these reports on our
public operations mailing list[0], or can dig into the raw data on our
public Prometheus instance[1].  I've also written up an operations
manual[2] to keep track of our approach and future plans for operations,
so that you can be aware of what steps we're taking to keep things up
and running, and perhaps apply our techniques to your own self-hosted
instances of SourceHut.

[0]: https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/sr.ht-ops
[1]: https://metrics.sr.ht
[2]: https://man.sr.ht/ops/

This month also saw design discussions on sr.ht-discuss regarding the
eventual design and implementation of user groups (or "organizations"),
and how they'll affect billing, access control lists, reserved CI slots,
and so on. Check out the archives for more: the initial proposal[1], and
version[2].

[1]: https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/sr.ht-discuss/%3CC0L8LGIM0C2I.3O209D1TSO6M3%40homura%3E
[2]: https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/sr.ht-discuss/%3CC0WZSZTLDP8B.34K9PQFW7NTHB%40homura%3E

We also deployed some improvements to responsiveness throughout the
site, which you'll probably have already noticed if you're on mobile.
Mobile users aren't the only group to benefit, however: I took extra
time to make sure the interface looks good at any subset of a 4K
monitor, so our tiling window manager users can have a comfortable
interface with a web browser at half-width or less.

Finally, we have a new mail server in place, which should be a little
bit more maintainable going forward, and our legacy infrastructure has
finally been overhauled. These were our last two servers which were not
running on the standard Alpine-based load-out[^1]. This unblocks...

[^1]: With the exception of ns1.sr.ht and ns2.sr.ht, which are still
running Debian. These are slated for upgrade, but are not urgent.

## sr.ht

Finally, work has commenced on the central project hub. This will solve
the problems of discoverability of projects hosted on SourceHut,
searching for new projects site-wide, linking together bug trackers and
git repos, and more. This project is ostensibly called "hub.sr.ht"
internally, but the intention is to deploy it at the top-level domain:
sr.ht.

The hub will let you create a central hub for your project, with any
combination of zero, one, ten, or more git and hg repos, bug trackers,
mailing lists, and so on. You can add exactly what you need, as much as
you need, and nothing you don't need. This is why SourceHut is designed
the way it is today. Many large projects have dozens of source repos,
and giving each one their own bug tracker, pull requests, documentation,
website, and so on, does not map to the actual project structure and
frequently leads to clunky workflows on other hosts. The SourceHut
project hub solves this problem better.

https://legacy.sr.ht/RUcZ.jpg

## builds.sr.ht

Following up on our recent git.sr.ht change to allow users to attach
binary releases to git tags, I've implemented build artifacts for our CI
as well. By adding a list of artifacts to your build manifest, you can
have the files extracted from the build VM after successful builds and
made available for download on the web or inspection via the API.
Artifacts are kept for 30 days, but in the future I would like to let
you indicate that certain artifacts should be kept permanently. Docs are
available here[0].

[0]: https://man.sr.ht/builds.sr.ht/manifest.md#artifacts

I also provisioned a new build server this month, and as part of our ops
work I've documented its specs here[0]. This will increase our build
throughput quite a bit, to better support our growing base of
high-demand CI projects, including Nim, NeoVim, and OpenSMTPD.

[0]: https://man.sr.ht/ops/provisioning.md#build-hosts
<C1CDDYAP2D20.3K4GRCJD9GGB8@homura>
In-Reply-To
<C1CDAHR1LR8U.2M8VXIIFGFC71@homura> (view parent)

<C1CDQNO6JG5G.1MFPXJUB3YR3E@homura>
In-Reply-To
<C1CDDYAP2D20.3K4GRCJD9GGB8@homura> (view parent)
Apologies for the empty email and the spam. The last message intended to
issue this correction: build artifacts are pruned after 90 days, not 30
days.
Export thread (mbox)