~sircmpwn/sr.ht-announce

What's cooking on Sourcehut? August 2020

<C4YIQ6CIJUNR.VET9MUHZE9GO@homura>
Another month passes and we find ourselves writing (or reading) this
status update on a quiet, rainy Sunday morning. Today our userbase
numbers 16,683 members strong, up 580 from last month. Please extend a
kind welcome to our new colleagues! Thanks for reading these posts and
keeping up with what's new on the platform.

First, I'd like to extend a thanks to contributor наб, who has been
sending an impressive number[0] of patches lately, and is responsible
for most of the features detailed in this update. Other contributors who
deserve thanks this month include 2xsaiko, Amin Bandali, Chris Vittal,
gildarts, and Peter Sanchez.  Thanks, everyone!

[0]: https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/sr.ht-dev?search=from%3Anabijaczleweli

For my part, I've been focused on operational work this month. I oversaw
the installation of and migration to the new hg.sr.ht server, which
should enjoy improved performance and support a larger number of
repositories going forward.  The same server is also going to be useful
as a testbed for our new standard VM server setup, which will scale
better to long-term high-availability plans.  Additionally, our
PostgreSQL robustness deployment has been overhauled, which should lend
improvements both to integrity and availability.

## git.sr.ht

git.sr.ht now supports default branches other than master. For details
on changing your default branch name, consult the docs[1].

[1]: https://man.sr.ht/git.sr.ht/#changing-the-default-branch

Many additional minor bug fixes and performance improvements have been
made throughout. For example, non-UTF-8 branch & tag names are handled
better now, with additional improvements heading to pygit2 upstream.

## builds.sr.ht

The Ubuntu images have been overhauled to more closely map to the
upstream release schedule. Consult the compatibility page[2] for
details. Affected users were emailed before the update rolled out; if
you did not receive an email then it is unlikely that you will have to
change your build manifests.

[2]: https://man.sr.ht/builds.sr.ht/compatibility.md

## todo.sr.ht

A number of improvements have been made for logged-out/anonymous users,
mostly minor changes. One larger change is that users without accounts
may now subscribe to specific tickets by email.

## lists.sr.ht

Searching by username is now supported in the From, To, and Cc fields,
via the `from:~username` search key format. Additionally, git patches
prepared with `git send-email --rfc` are now correctly recognized as
such.

## project hub

When the hub submits CI jobs to builds.sr.ht for patches in mailing
lists, a builds.sr.ht job group is now utilized. This reduces the number
of emails sent in response to one, even for repos with many build
manifests.

Additionally, a number of small improvements have been made to increase
the visibility of featured projects.

## meta.sr.ht

For users who run their own instance of meta.sr.ht, PAM support has been
added for authentication, allowing you to use the Unix account database
for usernames and passwords rather than storing them in SQL.
Export thread (mbox)