my journey on selfhosting git.sr.ht

<CA+5nfrC81Aik9d5jKTw5EHpzBBg9JbTL_wxLrGMu9_dyrpMK6g@mail.gmail.com>
Sender timestamp
i wanted to share here the first part of my journey on selfhosting
git.sr.ht. here it goes: http://ix.io/1FsY
<816bf098-6a9c-6624-e276-eb7893e0cd32@interia.pl>
In-Reply-To
<CA+5nfrC81Aik9d5jKTw5EHpzBBg9JbTL_wxLrGMu9_dyrpMK6g@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
W dniu 06.04.2019 o 17:02, Artem pisze:
> here it goes: http://ix.io/1FsY

Nice read, and cool idea with including the bash_history verbatim

> aha! it turns out the systemd file actually uses gunicorn web
> server which we're missing. let's install that:
>
>    75  yaourt -Suya gunicorn
> yaourt -Suya python-psycopg2 # meh, why i even have to do this manually? life sucks

I wonder why these are not even optdeps of the package.

> it's like i'm in 1994 and i have to maually createeverything from scratch

If this was on Debian, where package's post-install scripts are supposed
to initialize everything and start the daemon for you, I'd agree.

But on Arch, I think it's intended that installing the package only puts
the software on your disk, and it's up to you to configure it,
wire it up with a database, etc.

I, for one, would be surprised if the act of installing a package
automagically created some database user that I don't know about.
<1876857.aeG9vM1Xb5@sogebu>
In-Reply-To
<816bf098-6a9c-6624-e276-eb7893e0cd32@interia.pl> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
On 2019-04-06 11:54 A.M. Wolf480pl wrote:
> > aha! it turns out the systemd file actually uses gunicorn web
> >
> > server which we're missing. let's install that:
> >    75  yaourt -Suya gunicorn
> >
> > yaourt -Suya python-psycopg2 # meh, why i even have to do this
> > manually? life sucks
> I wonder why these are not even optdeps of the package.

There's some that really ought to be outright hard deps like
>    37  yaourt -Suya cronie redis python-redis # docs mention this as a
> dependency

> > it's like i'm in 1994 and i have to maually createeverything from
> > scratch
> If this was on Debian, where package's post-install scripts are
> supposed to initialize everything and start the daemon for you, I'd
> agree.
>
> But on Arch, I think it's intended that installing the package only
> puts the software on your disk, and it's up to you to configure it,
> wire it up with a database, etc.
>
> I, for one, would be surprised if the act of installing a package
> automagically created some database user that I don't know about.

Debian (and derivatives like Ubuntu) are the only distros I know that
does this. IIRC even Fedora and CentOS makes you do the initial
configuration manually.
<20190407182151.GE1160@homura.localdomain>
In-Reply-To
<1876857.aeG9vM1Xb5@sogebu> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
On 2019-04-07  2:19 PM, Francis Dinh wrote:
> There's some that really ought to be outright hard deps like
> >    37  yaourt -Suya cronie redis python-redis # docs mention this as a
> > dependency

You can run redis on a separate server from the rest of the application.
python-redis is necessary, though. There are also multiple cron daemons
to choose from and some wiggle room on when you run each task, plus you
could run these on another server as well if you want.
<e7f38016-4635-70f0-570a-eae2ac4d11fd@biribiri.dev>
In-Reply-To
<20190407182151.GE1160@homura.localdomain> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
On 2019-04-07 2:21 p.m., Drew DeVault wrote:
> python-redis is necessary, though.

Does this apply to all sourcehut services? Wondering if this should be
added to the "depends" array in the python-srht package.

I do agree with what you said as a whole, though.
<20190407200632.GA1198@homura.localdomain>
In-Reply-To
<e7f38016-4635-70f0-570a-eae2ac4d11fd@biribiri.dev> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
On 2019-04-07  3:42 PM, Francis Dinh wrote:
> Does this apply to all sourcehut services?

Not necessarily, but in the future it might.
<CA+5nfrDk1YsGTBNJQ+QF_ox52pYf6PA+ARM-aP3cj5zp=KHkCg@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CA+5nfrC81Aik9d5jKTw5EHpzBBg9JbTL_wxLrGMu9_dyrpMK6g@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
All right here's the next part of the journey, which is rather
boring, stupid and dull. But hey, we all learn from our mistakes!
http://ix.io/1FRc

On Sat, 6 Apr 2019 at 17:02, Artem <nuxdie@gmail.com> wrote:

> i wanted to share here the first part of my journey on selfhosting
> git.sr.ht. here it goes: http://ix.io/1FsY
<e2f60aac-4520-a4e3-19de-e162e6d19486@biribiri.dev>
In-Reply-To
<CA+5nfrDk1YsGTBNJQ+QF_ox52pYf6PA+ARM-aP3cj5zp=KHkCg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
On 2019-04-10 4:24 p.m., Artem wrote:
> Right! I forgot to config the new service. Copying config
> from the source code, same way as for git
>
> 	sudo vim config.ini
> 	sudo wgethttps://git.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/meta.sr.ht/blob/master/config.example.ini
> 	sudo mv config.example.ini meta.ini
> 	fg
> 	sudo rm -fr meta.ini

Haven't tried to install sourcehut myself, but based on the docs I
assume there should be a local copy of the config.example.ini file that
the package should have installed. Unless I'm wrong.

> Whait, what are these links at the top of install doc?
> Some kind of all *.sr.ht services list. Are you telling
> me that the "standart installation procedure" is not all
> there is?! Do you mean to say, there are _specific_
> steps I need to take for each service in order for it to
> work properly?! And that I just missed them cause they looked
> like a ToC list at the very beginning of an article?!

Perhaps the docs could be improved to make this more obvious. I'm not
sure how it could be improved though. Anyone got any ideas?
Artem
<CA+5nfrB_eZT5guUjpSN5AykdHQC6v9u-uPFMKqZ77H28CZJw2Q@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To
<CA+5nfrDk1YsGTBNJQ+QF_ox52pYf6PA+ARM-aP3cj5zp=KHkCg@mail.gmail.com> (view parent)
Sender timestamp
here's the final part of my journey to self-host git.sr.ht service:
http://ix.io/1Hx8
you can find previous two parts here: http://ix.io/1FsY & http://ix.io/1FRc