chat.sr.ht issue

<0101017d6ebc7bdb-b9dd55f4-2f93-4b15-88a2-1dc7d11d0847-000000@us-west-2.amazonses.com>
Hello,
I've been using chat.sr.ht for the past few weeks as part of the closed
beta. However, since this morning (apparently coinciding with the
announcement of chat.sr.ht going public), I've been unable to connect to
the server using a local IRC client (~taiite/senpai). The hosted gamja
session at https://chat.sr.ht still appears to work. I have tried on two
machines but am unable to connect.

I just wanted to check if any of the configuration/URLs/credentials
changed when the service went public, or if any existing accounts were
deleted, or something? It is possible but unlikely that anything changed
locally for me, I'm using the same configuration and senpai build as
yesterday, and nmap shows that port 6697 is open (as it should be).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kalyan Sriram
<CG2Y1PT8QG7S.I9423CJYDASF@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<0101017d6ebc7bdb-b9dd55f4-2f93-4b15-88a2-1dc7d11d0847-000000@us-west-2.amazonses.com> (view parent)
What happens when you try to connect? What do you see?
<zMWsMYM1gGQTIaGJ4vGPDq3QiJxX21pJliCDnV4YBY0G8AXXLd12TrEO8-qFCh4w7KJxdnFlrlwb9oIaHhMN8Y9umKoeXOLwCjgmWCX91-I=@emersion.fr>
In-Reply-To
<0101017d6ebc7bdb-b9dd55f4-2f93-4b15-88a2-1dc7d11d0847-000000@us-west-2.amazonses.com> (view parent)
Are you using the latest senpai commit? It contains a bug fix for SASL
authentication.
<0101017d72584f04-2ce4ed9d-d79e-4a23-9dbc-32b286d37378-000000@us-west-2.amazonses.com>
In-Reply-To
<zMWsMYM1gGQTIaGJ4vGPDq3QiJxX21pJliCDnV4YBY0G8AXXLd12TrEO8-qFCh4w7KJxdnFlrlwb9oIaHhMN8Y9umKoeXOLwCjgmWCX91-I=@emersion.fr> (view parent)
On Tue Nov 30, 2021 at 12:55 AM PST, Simon Ser wrote:
> Are you using the latest senpai commit? It contains a bug fix for SASL
> authentication.

Thanks for this! That appeared to be the issue. I updated senpai to the
latest commit on my laptop and it's connecting now. Will try on my
desktop at home later. Sorry for the trouble!

Kalyan
<CG3TVPN32QKM.116PE5BHXXDHT@nano>
In-Reply-To
<zMWsMYM1gGQTIaGJ4vGPDq3QiJxX21pJliCDnV4YBY0G8AXXLd12TrEO8-qFCh4w7KJxdnFlrlwb9oIaHhMN8Y9umKoeXOLwCjgmWCX91-I=@emersion.fr> (view parent)
It appears as though I'm getting similar issues with senpai when
connecting to chat.sr.ht to use the bouncer to access the irc.libera.chat
and irc.tilde.chat networks.

On Tue Nov 30, 2021 at 12:55 AM PST, Simon Ser wrote:
> Are you using the latest senpai commit? It contains a bug fix for SASL
> authentication.

I'm using what appears to be the most recent available commit (3904c91).

Both networks tell me:
Error (code 904): Registration failed: SASL authentication failed

Above that error, libera.chat also gives me:
*  SaslServ: <Unknown user on molybdenum.libera.chat (via SASL):user/akspecs>
   failed to login to akspecs. There has been 1 failed login attempt since your
   last successful login.

The number of failed attempts will vary between how many times I've
re-launched senpai, and if I've used the gamja web interface in-between.
I don't appear to be having any issues when using gamja on chat.sr.ht

Interestingly enough, I was able chat with another user in #senpai
through senpai despite those errors.

With `senpai -debug', I am able to see:
IN --  :chat.sr.ht 903 akspecs :SASL authentication successful

Is this something I could ignore?

Thanks,
akspecs
<CG3UIP3B3ONF.17X60BX4A4TFJ@taiga>
In-Reply-To
<CG3TVPN32QKM.116PE5BHXXDHT@nano> (view parent)
This error suggests an issue authenticating with LiberaChat SASL, rather
than authenticating with chat.sr.ht directly. It seems to be attempting
to register as "user/akspecs" rather than "akspecs" as it ought to.

Try /msg BouncerServ network update irc.libera.chat -username akspecs
<CG3V2HBVJUEC.1RRH2GXB3XODW@nano>
In-Reply-To
<CG3UIP3B3ONF.17X60BX4A4TFJ@taiga> (view parent)
Still getting:

On Wed Dec 1, 2021 at 1:09 AM PST, Drew DeVault wrote:
> It seems to be attempting to register as "user/akspecs" rather than
> "akspecs" as it ought to.

user/username is the generic user cloak for LiberaChat [1].

> Try /msg BouncerServ network update irc.libera.chat -username akspecs

I tried this, and LiberaChat will accept the auto-forwarded password
after running that -- but nothing changes with the failed SASL
authentication.

In fact, after attempting to update my username and relaunching senpai,
the same `<Unkown user on ...libera.chat (via SASL):user/akspecs>'
persists as well.

[1]: https://libera.chat/guides/cloaks#generic-user-cloaks
<x7AB9J_-RE0IO9yvkNUMIcaj2jJAKVRh1x8IPx_l7a5eY-EHD1kZ5lO1bnkw1NCADzvr30x7hoUizHLZd0KNbaUNWopTrB3bckt6phlx9tM=@emersion.fr>
On Wednesday, December 1st, 2021 at 10:09, Drew DeVault <sir@cmpwn.com> wrote:

> Try /msg BouncerServ network update irc.libera.chat -username akspecs

This "username" is the IRC-level one, not the SASL-level one. To set the SASL
username and password, use:

    /msg BouncerServ sasl set-plain irc.libera.chat akspecs <password>
<X29ON1vjkOGTCpEk6UEbLWxoBQLXIEf25aQ_KGa08W_XLy7yb3suT_KY14iU-_bUA6FLFVmm1ehSxDf1_T1smNe52NT2ZxVQUIgt7Ek7_N8=@emersion.fr>
In-Reply-To
<CG3V2HBVJUEC.1RRH2GXB3XODW@nano> (view parent)
For future reference: this is fixed with a senpai patch [1].

[1]: https://lists.sr.ht/~taiite/public-inbox/patches/27015
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)