~sircmpwn/sr.ht-discuss

4 3

Self-hosting for first time - git.sr.ht oauth config

programmerfalcon
Details
Message ID
<20210605192209.yxvjnuntnksnwhtg@JonsAsusArch>
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Hi,

I'm setting up sourcehut services for the first time, but I'm a little confused with the settings in the config. 

I've got meta.sr.ht setup fine, and now I'm setting up git.sr.ht. In the example config, there is a section as below:

	# git.sr.ht's OAuth client ID and secret for meta.sr.ht
	# Register your client at meta.example.org/oauth
	oauth-client-id=CHANGEME
	oauth-client-secret=CHANGEME

I have created an admin account on meta, and have followed the equivilant link for my domain, but I'm uncertain as to what to do at this point. What is it I'm meant to do here?


I also note that there's a notification saying to proceed to the OAuth 2.0 Dashboard, but the link only forwards to a 500 Internal Error page. I don't know if that's any particular issue for this or not.

Jonathan
Details
Message ID
<179dda52890.bcbd5965117836.3078091446451660933@pyxel.pro>
In-Reply-To
<20210605192209.yxvjnuntnksnwhtg@JonsAsusArch> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
> I have created an admin account on meta, and have followed the equivilant link 
> for my domain, but I'm uncertain as to what to do at this point. What is it I'm 
> meant to do here?

You want to create a 0Auth client and fill in the client id and secret from the 
client you created.

> I also note that there's a notification saying to proceed to the OAuth 2.0 
> Dashboard, but the link only forwards to a 500 Internal Error page. I don't 
> know if that's any particular issue for this or not.

Only thing I can recommend is checking the logs of the service to see why it
is throwing an error. Though note that some people here won't exactly help
you as self-hosting isn't exactly "supported".
programmerfalcon
Details
Message ID
<20210605194758.jqioppyrv6ysvqjs@JonsAsusArch>
In-Reply-To
<179dda52890.bcbd5965117836.3078091446451660933@pyxel.pro> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
Thanks for the quick response!



> > I have created an admin account on meta, and have followed the equivilant link 
> > for my domain, but I'm uncertain as to what to do at this point. What is it I'm 
> > meant to do here?
> 
> You want to create a 0Auth client and fill in the client id and secret from the 
> client you created.

Ah, I think I understand now. Just to check: I create an id/secret to fill in
the config file, and then use those credentials on the meta oauth page?



> > I also note that there's a notification saying to proceed to the OAuth 2.0 
> > Dashboard, but the link only forwards to a 500 Internal Error page. I don't 
> > know if that's any particular issue for this or not.
> 
> Only thing I can recommend is checking the logs of the service to see why it
> is throwing an error. Though note that some people here won't exactly help
> you as self-hosting isn't exactly "supported".

I understand - while I'm certainly wanting to use self-hosted repos, I chose
sourcehut as it looked like it would be an interesting project to setup and
learn a number of different tools.

I've looked at the logs - I think I can figure it out from here (should've
looked at that first...).


Thanks again!

Jonathan
Geert Stappers
Details
Message ID
<20210605204705.qnvcpcysvqainrag@gpm.stappers.nl>
In-Reply-To
<20210605194758.jqioppyrv6ysvqjs@JonsAsusArch> (view parent)
DKIM signature
missing
Download raw message
On Sat, Jun 05, 2021 at 08:47:58PM +0100, programmerfalcon wrote:
> > > I have created an admin account on meta, and have followed the equivilant link 
> > > for my domain, but I'm uncertain as to what to do at this point. What is it I'm 
> > > meant to do here?
> > 
> > You want to create a 0Auth client and fill in the client id and secret from the 
> > client you created.
> 
> Ah, I think I understand now. Just to check: I create an id/secret to fill in
> the config file, and then use those credentials on the meta oauth page?
> 
> 
> 
> > > I also note that there's a notification saying to proceed to the OAuth 2.0 
> > > Dashboard, but the link only forwards to a 500 Internal Error page. I don't 
> > > know if that's any particular issue for this or not.
> > 
> > Only thing I can recommend is checking the logs of the service to see why it
> > is throwing an error. Though note that some people here won't exactly help
> > you as self-hosting isn't exactly "supported".

You are invited to review that point of view.

And those who did not get "help" will find
their way to  "How to ask smart questions"

 
> I understand - while I'm certainly wanting to use self-hosted repos, I chose
> sourcehut as it looked like it would be an interesting project to setup and
> learn a number of different tools.

Nice

 
> I've looked at the logs - I think I can figure it out from here (should've
> looked at that first...).

Then the mailinglist would have missed that wisedom     :-)


> Thanks again!

<serious>
   Please do brag about self hosted  source hut.
   Be proud of the skill set you gained.
</serious>



Groeten
Geert Stappers
-- 
Silence is hard to parse
programmerfalcon
Details
Message ID
<20210606191840.4etvmcawvq5p3pda@JonsAsusArch>
In-Reply-To
<20210605204705.qnvcpcysvqainrag@gpm.stappers.nl> (view parent)
DKIM signature
pass
Download raw message
> > > > I have created an admin account on meta, and have followed the equivilant link 
> > > > for my domain, but I'm uncertain as to what to do at this point. What is it I'm 
> > > > meant to do here?
> > > 
> > > You want to create a 0Auth client and fill in the client id and secret from the 
> > > client you created.
> > 
> > Ah, I think I understand now. Just to check: I create an id/secret to fill in
> > the config file, and then use those credentials on the meta oauth page?

Just to note - I didn't realise that meta generated the the id and secret until
I messed around a bit. Lack of knowledge of understanding OAuth on my part.

>  
> > I've looked at the logs - I think I can figure it out from here (should've
> > looked at that first...).
> 
> Then the mailinglist would have missed that wisedom     :-)
> 
> 
> > Thanks again!
> 
> <serious>
>    Please do brag about self hosted  source hut.
>    Be proud of the skill set you gained.
> </serious>
> 

I'll be sure to 'brag' once I've got it all setup and working ;). 

I plan to write a disambiguation of the process and issues I had for my own
purposes, I'll see if there's any useful information I can post to the mailing
list after for anyone who's interested.

Jonathan
Reply to thread Export thread (mbox)